Random Construction

1 Conversation

A welder

A builder gets bored one day and decides to try constructing a building by taking lengths of the frame material and throwing them in the air. He knows that one type of material will break in three places and the other in two.

One of the rod of frame material of unit length will break randomly1. It will break in two places. What is the probability that the three pieces thus formed can be assembled into a triangle?

Another type of rod of unit length follows the same distribution but will break in three places. What is the probability that the four pieces can be assembled into a rectangle?

The builder needs 22 triangles and 5 rectangles to construct his building. What is the probability that he will be able to construct this in 100 goes?

1Following a constant uniform distribution.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A487163

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more