RaW Radio Warwick, 1251am

2 Conversations


RaW Radio Warwick is the student-run radio station for the University of Warwick, in The West Midlands area of England.


It is a professional sounding station run by students for students, and offers any student at the university the opportunity to get involved, have a show, and generally fiddle around with expensive and sexy pieces of kit.


RaW broadcasts 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, throughout the year. Students only do the 8am-12midnight shift, and, keeping the station independent from any other radio organisation, Miss Sue Stamp (Sustamp...sustained amplifier...quite.) takes over for the graveyard shift, playing music solidly through the night.


The station is open to members of the university's students' union and its associate members, who can become involved in any department: News, Music, Breakfast Krew, Production, Sport, Programming, Engineering, Features and the Webteam.


Recruitment is traditionally during the first three weeks of the new academic year, when new members are shown how to use the desks and equipment which has the unnecessarily scary title of 'audition', but students can join at any time.

This year RaW equalled it's highest membership ever, with over 300 students getting involved.

Award Winning Student Radio


RaW is the UK's official No.1 student radio station, and that's because of the station's winning streak at the national Student Radio Awards in November 2000, winning three out of a possible ten awards, six categories of which contained RaW Nominees.This was more than any other station that year.

Hear RaW's winning entries

The Student Radio Awards


RaW won the coveted Best Station award and with it a one hour broadcast on BBC Radio 1. The Saturday night dance programme, The RaW Dance Selector, won Best Show and a spell at Wise Bhuddah records. Student radio newcomer Catherine Nicholson was awarded with the title of Best Female Presenter after an amazing three months of on-air experience, winning a placement at BBC Radio 1.


The RaW Dance Selector can be heard on Saturday evenings during term time between 8:30 and 10:30, where you can hear the sheer class of Pat Scullion, Simon Lumb, Georgios Seragos and Dan Page that won them the award.

The RaW Dance Selector


Catherine Nicholson can be heard Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays on 'The Show' at 4pm-5pm, along with her new show team. 'The Show' is hotly tipped to follow in the footsteps of the RDS at the next awards.

Broadcast Coverage


RaW can only be picked up over the campus of the university, but during February RaW broadcasts on FM, on 107.5FM and broadcasts to Coventry, Kenilworth and beyond, and in case you're wondering, 'beyond' has been defined as the field on the other side of the A46 on the way to Leamington Spa.

It has turnips in it.

Apparently.

Dedication's What You Need


RaW 1251 is the Uk's oficial No.1 student radio station, and it really shows. The Executive Committee (hmm, sounds grander than it should) put in a huge amount of work each week, and the 300-strong membership put in a greatly varied schedule, including Chinese and Greek language programmes which reflects the international make-up of the students at Warwick University.Students can play any music they like within the Radio Authority Guidelines, and students listen, because the music is chosen, sooner or later, by other students with similar tastes.


The official website:

RaW 1251am


RaW is continuing to expand, and has recently begun to broadcast on the Coventry and Warwickshire digital radio multiplex, meaning that RaW can be picked up throughout the region via the next generation of radios. There's also a live webstream on the website which has been added recently, meaning RaW can be listened to worldwide. The future's so bright, they've taken to wearing shades.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A483554

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more