Gaddafi offers US election advice

0 Conversations

By Frank Gardner in Cairo

Libya's leader Colonel Muammar Gaddafi has come up with a novel solution to the problem of the US presidential elections.

In remarks published on Monday, Colonel Gaddafi suggested the two candidates, George W Bush and Al Gore, should share the presidency to avoid what he called civil war.

The problem is with the Congress and imperialist circles. The Congress ignores the realities of the world and it may declare a war on a country without even knowing where it is located
Colonel Gaddafi

The so-called brother leader of the Libyan revolution said whoever gains the most votes should become president and the runner up should be declared vice-president.

The maverick North African ruler has also offered his views on western democracy.

In a report carried by Libyan television, he said he did not believe in elections.

Referring to the US, he asked how could 49% of the people accept someone they did not vote for to become president just because he obtained 51% of the votes.

Colonel Gaddafi's views may well carry some sympathy thousands of kilometres away on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean.

Strained relations

Libya's relations with the United States are still strained.

Last week, Washington extended a ban on US citizens visiting Libya for fear of anti-American violence.

For his part, the Libyan leader has criticised the US Congress, accusing it of global ignorance.

In the same TV interview, Colonel Gaddafi said that when America indulged in military action in Kosovo, Libya and Kuwait, he was sure that Congress did not know where those countries were.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A482852

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more