Campanology - the art of bell-ringing

0 Conversations

Campanology refers to the practice of ringing church bells. You may well hear bells ring at a local Church on a Sunday morning, and possibly on an evening in the week also - this is probably practise night. Learning to ring bells properly is actually exceedingly hard to do. Step one is to simply ring one bell by itself. Next you learn to ring with others, in ‘rounds’. Ringing in rounds is when the bells follow each other in order from highest to lowest and repeat.

After that has been mastered it all gets very complicated and technical. If you listen hard to a peal of Church bells you will notice that they do not ring rounds all the time. In fact the bells changes places in a complicated pattern that probably requires a degree in applied maths to understand. Listen carefully - if you hear two bells ‘CLANG’ untunefully together then the ringers got it wrong. Whoops!

To take up the challenge of campanology (and boy, is it a challenge) ask around at any church. You don’t have to be religious to join in, and when you are good enough you may get hired for weddings and get paid a modest fee for your troubles.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A47765

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more