A Conversation for The good ship Jean de la Lune

review

Post 1

Zach Garland

I'm seasick. That sounded like fun!


St. Jean de la Lune

Post 2

geezer3

Holly, I leave in three weeks for a cruise on the St. Jean de la Lune from Greenock, Scotland down to Penzance. Your experience from over a year ago whets my appitite.


St. Jean de la Lune

Post 3

ahyesitisihere

The summer of 2000, with ten passengers and six crew, the Jean de la Lune covered the length of the Irish Sea with stops in Dublin, Skomer Island, Lundy Island, St. Ives and St. Mary's in the Isles of Scilly. Unlike your voyage, in 2000 there was little wind, so that for seven out of nine days we motored through a glassy sea. We commented often about whether we would spot an albatros. Instead we spotted dolphins and seals and sharks, and birds without numbering. It was a most excellent sea voyage, with good food and good company. The crew: John, an owner-captain; Gima, his wife and an owner-chef; Fiona, the office manager, on this cruise as a working holiday, a part of her company benefits; Archie, Fiona's husband, a computer consultant; Matthew, a 22-or-so year old forest managment student in Edinburgh; and Finbar, a 17 year old soon-to-be marine engineering student in Scotland. They watched after us, instructed us in sailing, climbed the rigging with us, guided us to pubs wherever we stopped, and generally gave us nine days to remember the rest of our lives. The two of us who made this journey together would return to the JDL in a heartbeat. Everyone should sail on this ship.


St. Jean de la Lune

Post 4

the potter

Did you have a good time? I am hoping to join the JDL again next year for a trip to St Kilda, but as a student I may not be able to afford it. The memory lives on though - and I am certain that I will sail on her again, perhaps after I graduate and earn some money!


St. Jean de la Lune

Post 5

the potter

Glad you enjoyed this experience. I understand totally your reaction. I often look back at the photos we took. Somewhere we have a video (copy from one of our fellow sailors) - I feel I must dig it out, and relive the experience once more.


St. Jean de la Lune

Post 6

ahyesitisihere

Fiona at JDL sends the occasionally changing schedule of voyages in 2001, and I dream that I can be on the ship for all of them. It will not happen for me in 2001, I know, but perhaps sometime later. The Western Islands would be a dream fulfilled. I've looked at the photographs we made on our voyage and yearn to return to Lundy Island and St Mary's (Scilly). It will happen. Yes, it will.


St. Jean de la Lune

Post 7

geezer3

Here's a link to photographs from the Jean de la Lune's 2000 Cruise in June and July from Greenock to Penzance:

http://pm13.ps.photoworks.com/sharing/album.asp?key=7288913940240107

Let's see there's another album, humm, where did I put it.

http://pm11.ps.photoworks.com/sharing/album.asp?key=8128024998150805




St. Jean de la Lune

Post 8

Ruthie

I`m looking for a job on a tall ship and I liked "Jean de la Lune" at once. In addition, your positive messages encourage me to try it! Let's hope...


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The good ship Jean de la Lune

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more