Mother Teresa

3 Conversations

Mother Teresa (1910-97)



Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu was born in Albania in 1910, the youngest of 3 children.
She began her missionary work as a teacher in Calcutta, India.
Taking the name of Sister Teresa1, she took her final vows as a nun in 1937.
In 1948, she was granted permission by the Vatican to leave her convent so she could tend the sick, starving and homeless people living in Calcutta's slums.

The Missionaries of Charity



She founded her own Order of the Missionaries of Charity in 1950 and this subsequently extended to other countries.
At the time of writing, there are more than 2,000 nuns in this Order, caring for the sick and the dying throughout the world.

Quotes and poetry by Mother Teresa


  • Love is doing small things with great love.
  • There should be less talk. A preaching point is not a meeting point.
  • Let us not be satisfied with just giving money. Money is not enough; money can be got, but they need your hearts to love them. So, spread your love everywhere you go.

  • Inspiration



    This poem was written by Mother Teresa and is engraved on the wall of her home for children in Calcutta.

    Awards


  • The Padma Shri award for distinguished service in 1962.

  • The very first Pope John XXIII Peace Prize in 1971.

  • The Nobel Peace prize in 1979.

  • The Medal of Freedom (The highest US Civilian award) in 1985.


  • In 1996, Mother Teresa was awarded honarary U.S. citizenship.

    Contraversies



    As a catholic nun, Mother Teresa refused to allow contraception of any kind. In the poorest of countries, with too many people and not enough food, this was perhaps not the best policy.

    It was unfortunate that Mother Teresa died when she did. Just a few days after Princess Diana was killed, her death passed almost unnoticed by the world's media. The contrast between the funerals of the two women could not have been greater.

    Referenced Researchers


  • Voon

  • Galaxy Babe

  • Bossel

  • Lucinda

  • Mr.Cognito

  • iaoth

  • 1In honour of Saint Thérèse of Lisieux

    Bookmark on your Personal Space


    Entry

    A473500

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Read a random Edited Entry


    References

    h2g2 Entries

    Disclaimer

    h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

    Write an Entry

    "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

    Write an entry
    Read more