A Conversation for Contributing to the Guide

Adding pictures

Post 1

Andrew Wyld [kt:'Burning Pestle', kp:'Mutamems, Ideodiversity', Zaph.]

It looks like people have added pictures in the past, or something, but in any case I'd love to have a sign that says "GUSTY WINDS (MAY EXIST)" on my front page. I actually have the typeface for this, it's located at

http://www.larabiefonts.com/fonts/b/bluehigd.html

and this is the face used on American roadsigns. This is a caps-only face but a better reflection of the majority of signs, it's a slightly older and crustier version.

It's my opinion that GUSTY WINDS should be in twice the face size of "(MAY EXIST)" and "GUSTY", "WINDS" and "(MAY EXIST)" should be in a vertical triplet.

A very popular face is

http://www.larabiefonts.com/fonts/b/bluehigh.html

and all sorts of newspapers now use for headlines (as well as Sainsbury's) it in spite of the fact it's a face for road signs in the USA!

But please ... can we have a GUSTY WINDS sign?


Adding pictures

Post 2

Andrew Wyld [kt:'Burning Pestle', kp:'Mutamems, Ideodiversity', Zaph.]

http://www.tieskoetter.com/PhotoPages_new/Cross_Country_Trip/Day5/pages/nm_hills_6_jpg.htm

This is the actual sign, which is of the yellow diamond variety, and indeed, my hunch about the alignment was correct. (Lower right in the picture)


Adding pictures

Post 3

h2g2Support

Hi Andrew,

We don't have the facilities to take requests at the moment. The pictures already on h2g2 come from either <./>GuideML-picturelibrary</.> or <./>Community-art</.>. Have you looked through there to see if there is anything you fancy?


Adding pictures

Post 4

Andrew Wyld [kt:'Burning Pestle', kp:'Mutamems, Ideodiversity', Zaph.]

Thanks -- I have had a look, but it's not really my smiley - tea, mostly.

I guess weird textual stuff is probably my best bet, then.

Thanks smiley - smiley


Adding pictures

Post 5

h2g2Support

smiley - ok


Adding pictures

Post 6

Andrew Wyld [kt:'Burning Pestle', kp:'Mutamems, Ideodiversity', Zaph.]

I also have a Sirius Cybernetics Corporation logo, which is highly cool and looks a bit like the Penn Central railways logo.

Will New Pictures Ever Be Added To The Guide?


Adding pictures

Post 7

Smij - Formerly Jimster

New pictures are added to the Guide daily.

One idea - though it's by no means a guarantee - is you could write an entry for the guide that is factual and informative. If the Researchers in Peer Review think your entry is good enough, it might find its way into the Edited Guide. If the Editors think it deserves a picture it might get picked as the main entry for the front page... and then you only have to hope that the art department think of illustrating it with what you want.

As I say, it's a long shot, but...

smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post