Street Hawk

2 Conversations

Airing in 1985, Street Hawk starred Rex Smith as Jessie Mach, an ex-motorcycle cop, recruited by the Government to test pilot Street Hawk, "an all-terrain, attack motorcycle designed to fight urban crime".

Street Hawk was designed by Federal Agent Norman Tuttle (Joe Regalbuto), and is capable of traversing any terrain. It has a mounted particle beam (which can disable vehicles), machine guns and rockets. It possessed a vertical lift system to enable it to jump, and was capable of speeds up to 200mph, and up to 300mph using Hyperthrust, a computer assist mode controlled by Norman from the warehouse where Street Hawk's control centre was housed.

Norman initially protested Jessie's choice as test pilot, citing him as too reckless, with no regard for his equipment. The Government over-ruled Norman, to the extent that when Jessie's knee was damaged in the line of duty, Norman arranged for experimental surgery to repair the knee, and allow Jessie to become Street Hawk's pilot.

Afraid of public opinion regarding a highly armed motorcycle patrolling the streets, the Street Hawk project was classified by the Government, and Jessie's role as test pilot kept secret from his friends and family. In the pilot this resulted in Jessie having to wear a brace over his knee to maintain the illusion of a damaged knee, and Jessie continued in his new role in public relations (after being judging unfit for motorcycle duty). By the second episode, enough time has past for Jessie to dispense with the brace, and although his co-workers are still unaware of the true extent of his recovery, he is able to become a "police troubleshooter".

Street Hawk ran for 13 episodes, and the theme was by Tangerine Dream (from the Le Parc album).

The man. The machine. Street Hawk.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A459849

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more