The Death Penalty

6 Conversations

A 'guy' on a bonfire

The death penalty, or capital punishment, is a thorny issue which can divide the best of friends. It is a topic of debate that allows for no indecision; you are either for it or against it. There can be no grey areas when discussing a human life.

There are those that believe that the death penalty is a deterrent, acting as the strongest posssible warning for those who err on the wrong side of the law. To some extent this is true but there are extenuating factors which can drive the most stable minds to murder. There are others who believe that capital punishment is a question of economy - it is cheaper to use capital punishment instead of life in prison. Some argue that no one has the right to put a price on a human life.

People on the other side of the fence argue that capital punishment is uncivilised and that leaders in the West should lead the emerging democratic nations by example. There are people who also argue that the death penalty is just as expensive as life imprisonment when you take into account legal fees and the back log of appeals and which clog up local legal systems.

Tell us where you stand.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A459443

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Edited by

h2g2 Editors

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more