Bognor Regis, West Susex, UK

0 Conversations

King George V convalesced in Craigwell in 1929 and was supposed to have pronounced "Bugger Bognor" (interestingly it took more than 60 years for anyone obey this royal decree - the IRA responded in 1995)

Bognor's name is derived from a Saxon word Bucgan-Ora (pronounced Bugger Nora - perhaps the king was misquoted whilst he was instructing some servant in the history of the place). In 1275 it was recorded as Buggenore and in 1405 as Bogenor. The original saxon word means "place on the border of somewhere else". From early Saxon times Bognor had already been identified in terms of its proximity to somewhere more exciting.

Bognor was orginally home to "smugglers and persons of a lower order". In 1753 Dr Richard Russell published a book titled "A Dissertation on the Use of sea-water in the Diseases of the Glands". The fashionable upper and middle classes flocked to the south coast to bathe in the rejuvenating salt water. Sir Richard Hotham, a famous hatter, laid a foundation stone in 1787. His magnificant house and observatory is set in public gardens which house Britains definitive collection of Lathyrus (Sweet Peas). It is also a place for local young people to fornicate and play miniature golf.

Richard Hotham wanted to call the town "Hothampton" but was defeated by the local authority. This is a shame as the town is a top table performer in terms of sunshine hours and temperatures often reach 20 centigrade in summer (taking into account vicious windchill). Other famous visitors were Napolean III (just when you though it was safe) William Blake and Dante Gabriel Rosetti. The latter pair are both as wierd as 3 legged chickens.




Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A456158

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more