How to spend Happy Hour on Montreal's West Island

0 Conversations

If you're an English-speaking Montrealer and no longer a student, there's a good chance you live on or near the West Island (the term west being a relative thing, since geographically the West Island is actually south of Montreal, but who's counting) . While many people still like to affirm their distance from middle-age by making occasional forrays to downtown clubs, most of the time West Islanders are stuck with a few lame nightspots in their own neck of the woods. Loud pick-up joints with bad music and questionable lighting abound. If that's your scene, Bourbon Street on Sources Blvd. (for real suburban amusement, keep an eye out for Comedy Fest night or the occasional visit by the Chippendales) is the place to be. To be fair Bourbon Street does get decent bands from time to time and their happy hour prices can't be beat (though you have put up witha fair share of salesmen in bad suits and big-hairded secretaries). Cheers on St. Jean is a close second in this category, though substitute annoying punk teenagers for the salesmen and secretaries.

For something slightly different, shuffle past Cheers and head over to Marlowe's (located in the same strip mall). If you're hungry, you're in luck, because the food won't kill you and it'll taste better than the happy hour slop at Cheers or BS. They've got a great selection of micro-brews on tap and the crowd is slightly more sophisticated that the aforementioned hang-outs. It does get crowded during happy hour, though -- but maybe you enjoy standing navel-to-crotch with cruising single professionals. If not, you can always head over to Boomer's on Lakeshore Drive in Pointe Claire Village. Happy Hour is usually animated, but reasonable and they have great bands in the evening (R&B, Jazz, World Music). And if you prefer something more lively, you can walk across the street to Clyde's, a big barn of a place that has an inviting bar with a fireplace to take the chill of winter evenings. The place fills up with kids to see their greasy punk bands in the evening, though, so you probably don't want to hang out there all night.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A455609

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more