Greek Myths - Daphne

0 Conversations

Would you rather be loved by a god, or be a tree?
Daphne, the daughter of the god of the River Peneus, was extremely beautiful yet never wished to marry or know love, passionate only for hunting and the creatures of the woods and waters, and a dedicated follower of the chaste goddess Artemis, protectress of maidens. When Apollo taunted Aphrodite's son over his childish use of the bow and arrow, Eros revenged himself by wounding the god with an arrow tipped with gold, which caused him to fall in love with Daphne, the first woman he then saw. But Eros had also struck Daphne with an arrow; tipped with lead, it caused her to hate the very idea of love itself, and to flee still further from all such amorous advances. When Apollo came upon her in the woods, she ran from him without waiting to hear what he had to say, and despite his protestations of love as he gave chase refused to pause for him. Eventually, after many miles, she began to tire, and prayed to her father that he would remember his promise that she should always remain free and unmarried, and would hide her or change her form and so keep his child safe from her pursuer. Peneus, hearing his daughter's plea, helpfully changed her into a tree. Apollo was - understandably - amazed as he caught up with her only to see branches bursting forth from Daphne's arms, and the woman he loved become a laurel before his eyes. Despite his bark-placed kisses and declarations of love she resolutely remained a tree. Out of love, he declared that she should never lose her looks - which, to a tree, means eternal youth in the guise of an ever-green - and that in remembrance he would wear her leaves in a garland about his head, and hang his bow and lyre on her branches. Thus Daphne was saved from marriage, and Apollo had to make do with using his beloved as a hatstand.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A455375

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more