Bomb Shelters

1 Conversation

A popular suburban accessory during the Cold War, particularly during the Cuban Missile Crisis, bomb shelters were generally located at the back of one’s property, beyond the patio and the flowered umbrella table. Long since replaced by swimming pools, pressed-iron lawn furniture and conservatory extensions, the occasional bomb shelter is still at times opened to the light of day.

Take, for instance, the case of a woman in South Dakota who was kept in a bomb shelter for 30 years by her jealous husband who told her that the world had been destroyed by a nuclear bomb. She was not discovered until after the death of her spouse.

Never, ever say anything like “Hey! Wouldn’t it be great if bomb shelters made a come-back?”


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A4474

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more