A Conversation for Dune - The Film

A443684 - Dune - The Film

Post 21

Bluebottle

Thanks Witty Moniker smiley - smiley
Looks interesting... smiley - smiley I just hope it's shown in the UK too.


A443684 - Dune - The Film

Post 22

Peter aka Krans

Yeah... me too!


A443684 - Dune - The Film

Post 23

Witty Moniker

Well, I can't imagine they'd spend all that money producing it and not try to maximize the exposure.

The Schedulebot on the Scifi site shows UK Cable and UK Satellite feeds, but I couldn't get it to display any current programming. In fact, it doesn't even show October and November. It begins in December with no actual programming entered.

Perhaps Scifi Channel is just being introduced on your side of the pond?


A443684 - Dune - The Film

Post 24

Bluebottle

No, the sci-fi channel's been broadcasting on Sky for quite a long time, but I'm not sure if they show the same things as they do on your sci-fi channel in the US...

It's the only channel I watch smiley - winkeye


A443684 - Dune - The Film

Post 25

Peter aka Krans

I don't have Sky... smiley - sadface


A443684 - Dune - The Film

Post 26

Bluebottle

Can you convince a friendly friend with Sky to record it for you?
Hopefully they'll release it on video too.


A443684 - Dune - The Film

Post 27

HappyDude

Thanks for your recommendation. You'll be glad to know that we think this entry is great, and it has now gone into the Editorial Process for future inclusion in the Edited Guide. When it does get into the Edited Guide, we will email to let you know, but please bear in mind it can take a while for entries to go through the sub-editing system.


A443684 - Dune - The Film

Post 28

Bluebottle

Hiya Happy Dude - thanks for dropping by. smiley - smiley
And yep, I know it can take a while for entries to be approved. Not only do I have 30 approved ones, I'm also awaiting approval from one submitted on the 9th March this year... smiley - winkeye


A443684 - Dune - The Film

Post 29

Mark Moxon

Editorial Note: This thread has been moved out of the Peer Review forum because this entry has now been recommended for the Edited Guide.


A443684 - Dune - The Film

Post 30

Peregrin

Hi Bluebottle, do you want to include anything in this forum in the edited article? The article looks good as it is to me, but if you want to include any of these book/film differences or anything then please tell me.

Oh and you might find these unedited entries interesting:
http://www.h2g2.com/A244595 Frank Herbert's Dune Universe (an A-Z of Dune)
http://www.h2g2.com/A338096 Bene Gesserit "Litany Against Fear" (I seem to remember rejecting this one for inclusion in the Edited Guide ages ago, but it's been expanded a bit and is a bit more interesting now)


A443684 - Dune - The Film

Post 31

mari-rae(tee reads: (entangled in cardboard boxes, please send tape...)

I enjoyed reading your article BB. It has made me want to go rent the movie and give it another chance. I didn't like the movie at all when I saw it. Dune is a favorite book. I've read and re-read it over and over. The movie was disappointing to me because it left so much out. The intrigue of the political system, the fanaticism of the fremen, the scope of the Bene Gesserit's breeding program and the lives within lives of their Reverend Mothers, and the meaning of the Kwisatz Hadderach (sp?) that Paul becomes just did not come alive in the movie as it did in the book(s). Even the basic fact of a waterless planet and the impact of that enviornment on the humans living there was not gone into much. Frank Herbert's work was fantastically complex. He invented an entire ecosystem along with a facinating storyline and created a political/religious/economic triad that enthralls the reader.

I'm going to dig out my dog-earred copy and read it again! Perhaps my hopes were too high for the movie. I'll try it again, and pretend I've never heard of the book.


A443684 - Dune - The Film

Post 32

Peregrin

Speaking as somebody who has watched (both versions of) the film but not read any of the books, I thought the film was excellent (from a Sci-Fi viewpoint), but didn't explain a few things (such as the fate of one or two characters). It worked well for me. But I wish a decent cut of the film would be released by David Lynch. Or has there? I don't know.

I'll have to read the book sometime... but I've been avoiding doing so because I don't want to start 'getting into' another series of books. I wasted lots of time last year at university reading the Discworld books when I should be working! Trouble is, when I've started reading a book, I can't put it down; this applies to entire series too!

I remember my first introduction to the Dune universe... I was about 12, and in France for some obscure reason, and I played the original computer game in French with a friend translating for me! It was one of the best games around then smiley - smiley


A443684 - Dune - The Film

Post 33

Bluebottle

Yep, I had read both of those articles before writing this one, thanks. smiley - smiley

As for the film - David Lynch has, for the last 10 years, been in a complete sulk and refused to even mention the film "Dune", so much has been his anger over what Universal Studios did to him by firstly forcing him to make a shortened version, and then making a longer version without his consent. And now Universal are making another version for TV. But there is no proper expanded true "David Lynch" vision - just the two that you have seen.

And the Dune computer game is Still one of the best around! smiley - smiley

As soon as I finish reading these Martian books, I'm off to read "Prelude To Dune: House Harkonnen".


A443684 - Dune - The Film

Post 34

mari-rae(tee reads: (entangled in cardboard boxes, please send tape...)

I take it you aren't talking about the strategy game, Dune 2000?


A443684 - Dune - The Film

Post 35

Peregrin

No, Dune 2000 is an updated version of Dune 2. Well, it's got better graphics, but everything else is the same.
Dune 1 was more of an adventure game although it did involve elements of strategy and stuff.
And BB happily plays it nowadays on his 386, which apparently does all he wants a computer to do and he doesn't want a more modern one, even though he can't access h2g2 on it smiley - tongueout


A443684 - Dune - The Film

Post 36

mari-rae(tee reads: (entangled in cardboard boxes, please send tape...)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! smiley - winkeye


A443684 - Dune - The Film

Post 37

Bluebottle

I don't need to access h2g2 from my PC, so why should I want to?
It's like saying that we can't watch Sky Sports on our TV. If I could, I wouldn't, so why would I want to upgrade to be able to watch it?

But One Day I will be able to play "Dune 2000" - but I'm happy playing "Dune 2". smiley - smiley


Removed

Post 38

Dogster

This post has been removed.


A443684 - Dune - The Film

Post 39

Peregrin

Looks very good smiley - smiley


A443684 - Dune - The Film

Post 40

Bluebottle

And in many ways a natural progression from "Dune 2000" - very similar, just more 3-D.


Key: Complain about this post