The Dark Side of Religion

1 Conversation

The Dark Side of Religion

Religion has, in the past and in the present, created much bloodshed and disharmony. Animals, including cute little sheep and even humans, have been tortured and maimed and burned because they have been sacrificed to God. And that's not even the worst part. Religion has divided mankind. Religion creates useless differences when there used to be none. For example, the Nazis have killed the Jews because of their religion. People are fighting for Jerusalem. Differences in religion are a bloody thing, and nobody can deny that.

I question the benefit of religion. The things which religions hold most dear have no value in reality. Are people wasting their time in church? Is the space that is reserved for the church justified, or is the space better used as a park? Why does religion have to exist? Many lives would have been saved if it had not existed.

Multiple religions create a bundle of confusion. It is agreed among religions that there is only one god, yet each religion has a different god. Which god is real? That is probably irrelevant, since people think that their own god is real. People believe that they are worshipping the god that is real, but in fact, all but one religion is worshipping nothing. When people go to heaven (if it exists), it will create a massive pandemonium when they find out that the god that they have worshipped does not exist.

One religion is ok, but more than one is morally unacceptable (for the welfare of the world). Unless people sacrifice more animals and human beings to their gods or argue with each other because of religious differences, one should remain impartial to religion.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A440407

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more