Two's company

1 Conversation

The Doctor stood at the central console tweaking the controls.
"Ace, you're sure you want don't mind visiting Susan?" The Doctor asked

"No Doctor, from what you've told me she's family" Ace replied.

The Doctor chuckled and reached out to tweak another control when the cloister bell began to ring. The Tardis console room tilted to the left, throwing the Doctor and Ace on to the doors.

"What's Happening Doctor?" Ace shouted

"A Space-Time Tractor Beam" The Doctor yelled back, "the last time I encountered one of those was....,"

The Doctor struggled over to console and began pressing buttons, but to no avail, The TARDIS remained tilted to the left. The Doctor twisted the scanner control. The scanner whirred open to reveal a giant cathedral like space station.

"Oh no, not again" the Doctor Groaned.

The scene on the scanner changed to a court room containing a large group of Timelords and a man in a patched coat. All staring, wide eyed, towards the TARDIS.

"Best get it over with I suppose," The Doctor sighed, grabbing his hat and umbrella, "Ace stay inside the TARDIS."

The Doctor stepped out of the TARDIS. The man in the Patchwork coat looked livid.

"What are you doing here?" He shouted, "We're in bad enough trouble as it is without me making it worse for us. Now I'm adding breaking the second law of time to the Valeyard's list of charges."

"The Valeyard?" The Seventh Doctor exclaimed, he shook his head, "So when are we during this trial? Ravalox?".

"Who are you, you strange little man?" The Inquisitor demanded.

"If I might intercede"

The voice made everyone turn and face the matrix screen, there was the face of a middle aged Timelord on the screen.

The Timelord continued to speak " You may all be aware that I am Cortentos, The head of the Celestial Intervention Agency. I have brought these two incarnations of the Doctor together so that they can complete a task that their Seventh incarnation failed to complete, The Sixth Doctor's companion, Perpugilliam Brown, shall be brought here from the time stream after their visit to Ravalox".

Peri suddenly appeared in the middle of the courtroom

"Peri" The Seventh Doctor Breathed.

Peri ran over to the Sixth Doctor.

"Doctor, who is that?" Peri asked looking at the Seventh Doctor

"He's me Peri, or will be," The Sixth Doctor replied.

"If we can save the reunions till later,” The Valeyard interrupted, "we have a more pressing matters at hand. Like how the Doctor breaks the fundamental laws of time right in this very courtroom" .

"Valeyard," The Inquisitor turned to face the Valeyard.

"Yes my lady?", the Valeyard replied.

"Shut up!"

The Valeyard sat down looking deflated.

"Yes, That was getting a little tedious," Cortentos continued, "By order of the high council, I place this trial in a hiatus. Doctor you will join your Seventh incarnation and make your way to Portrutus Minor in the Zeta system."

The Sixth Doctor crossed the courtroom to where the Seventh Doctor was standing.

"Dear, oh Dear, my dress sense hasn't improved. What exactly is that pullover in aid of?" The Sixth Doctor exclaimed.

"Well, my lapels are the same colour as my sleeves!" The Seventh Doctor retorted.

"If me could leave your dress sense out of this, Doctor, can we just go" Peri interrupted.

The Sixth Doctor glared at the Seventh for a little while longer, and then entered the TARDIS.

The Sixth Doctor almost walked into Ace who had been leaning on the console.

"Doctor, who are they?" Ace asked.

"Ace, The man in the Technicolor coat is my Sixth incarnation and with him is Perpugilliam Brown or Peri to her friends."

The Seventh Doctor flipped a switch on the console and the doors closed, he flipped another switch and the Central column began to raise and fall.

"So what exactly have you not done, properly?" The Sixth Doctor asked.

"I don't know." The Seventh Doctor replied, "I definitely finished of the Daleks, the Gods of Ragnorok, the Cybermen, and Fenric."

"Don't forget those futuristic Knights from a parallel universe" Ace Added.

Then the console pinged announcing their arrival at their destination, The Sixth Doctor twisted the scanner control.

"Hold on," The Sixth Doctor exclaimed, "Where's Portrutus Minor? There's Portrutus Major. It should be the next planet in orbit."

"Look," The Seventh Doctor was pointing to a spatter of red on the blackness of space "a Vortex Rupture."

"A Vortex Rupture!?" The Sixth Doctor exclaimed turning away, "But the amount of power needed to generate one of those is astronomical".

"Which means that we're facing someone very powerful and very dangerous," The Seventh Doctor said darkly.

"Oh goody, I thought we might have to face something really dangerous" Peri exclaimed sarcastically.

"Doctors, Look at the scanner" Ace exclaimed.

Both Doctors span round to look at the scanner and saw coming from the Rupture a beam of green light.

Both Doctors yelled "Hold on tight!" simultaneously.

The TARDIS lurched to the Right, throwing the occupants to the floor, the time rotor began raising and falling stiffly as if reluctant to do so.

The TARDIS entered the Rupture and the eons began to scream past the little blue box. Inside the TARDIS the Doctors had regained their balance and were looking at the scanner.

"Amazing," The Seventh Doctor breathed "A planet trapped in a time eddy"

"But that's against the laws of temporal physics" The Sixth Doctor exclaimed

"We're fine thanks," Peri called out from the floor.

"Hold on, we’re going to land" The Sixth Doctor called out.

The TARDIS began to judder getting more and more violent and with an almighty thud the time rotor stopped.

"Well, We've arrived" The Sixth Doctor said getting to his feet.

"The readout says the planet is habitable" The Seventh Doctor continued, "Shall we go outside?"

"Is it safe Doctor?" Ace asked cautiously.

"Probably not" The Seventh Doctor replied, "Let’s go!"

The Seventh Doctor grabbed his hat and umbrella off the hat stand by the door as the Sixth Doctor activated the door control.

They stepped out on to the surface of the planet, the red of the vortex dominating the sky. The soil was Grey, dry and cracked.

The Sixth Doctor picked some of the soil up and rubbed it through his hands.

"The soil feels strange as, though it’s been aged by millions of years," The Sixth Doctor said in a voice filled with ponder.

"So?" Ace replied, "It’s a very old planet"

"Well that’s the thing," The Sixth Doctor replied, "In the last Galactic Census the age of Portrutus Minor was listed as 144 million years and at a rough estimate the age of this soil is at least 3 billion years so any life or buildings on this planet must have collapsed of old age."

"Well Doctor, if the planet has aged and the buildings have collapsed, why hasn't that temple" Peri asked.

"Temple!?" Both Doctors exclaimed "What Temple?"

"The Temple behind the TARDIS," Peri explained, pointing.

Both Doctors span round to see a Temple sat behind the Tardis.

"What lies within the darkness," the Sixth Doctor wondered out loud.

The Sixth and Seventh Doctor Ace and Peri all entered the Temple and were immediately engulfed by almost total darkness.

The darkness was showing a faint orange glow along a winding corridor. They headed for the glow, which ate away the darkness slowly.

When they rounded a corner they were faced by a giant orange crystal which filled the corridor. At the center of the crystal were two figures one male and one female. The man was dressed up like an Inspector of the yard, the woman like a Private investigator from the future. She was in a dramatic pose and he looked baffled and surprised.

"What is this stuff Doctor?" Ace asked, "It looks solid one second and like its not there the next."

"It looks like a Vortuant Stasis Crystal but there's something else as if raw temporal energy got thrown into the mix" The Sixth Doctor explained.

"How do we get them out?" Peri asked, "It must be horrible stuck in that thing."

"Its Totally Painless, but there is a way to get them out," The Sixth Doctor replied, he then turned to face the Seventh Doctor, "Tell me, in your incarnation of me, do we still have a sonic screwdriver?"

"Yes," The Seventh Doctor replied, getting the sonic screwdriver out of his pocket, "On Three?"

The Sixth Doctor nodded, taking the sonic screwdriver out of his pocket, "One.....Two.....Three"

The corridor echoed with the shrill noise of the two screwdrivers.

The corridor filled with an orange glow and the echoes of the past.

A man's voice echoed around them.

"This is it Reef, the power pack on my laser's bust and we're surrounded"

A woman's voice now echoed.

"There's is just one hope, something a traveler from the Cartura system gave me, for the time of no hope he said, stand next to me and we'll.....

The echoes faded and the crystal shattered, the two figures fell to the floor gasping for breath.

"Peri and the Seventh Doctor ran forward to help them

"Are you alright?" Peri asked

"Yes" the woman replied.

"Oh! I'm fine thanks!" The man exclaimed indignantly.

"Who are you? and what are you doing in a temple, on a planet, in the time vortex" The Seventh Doctor asked, helping the man to his feet.

"I am Detective Inspector Simon Kipper," The man said, "The greatest detective in the year 2170."

"Unfortunately he is not the humblest Detective," The woman sighed, rolling her eyes, "my name is Jessica Reef, PI, also from 2170."

"So how did you get here?" the Sixth Doctor asked.

"Well the details are a bit sketchy, but I'll leave that to the Holo-Recorder to explain" DI Kipper replied.

The Holo-Recorder began to whine. An image filled up the room, DI Kipper was crouched by a body with another police officer stood over him, an electronic voice sounded out

"Holo-Recording 3346245, Location, Earth, England, Home Counties District, Irongron Fort. Date and Time, Tuesday, May 21st 2170, 06:06." It Droned.

"It’s another one of those murders, isn't it?" The voice of DI Kipper had replaced the electronic voice.

"It looks so sir" The other police officer said.

No DNA, no fingerprints, no sign of there being a murder except one dead guy, with his insides fried worse that a full English.

The Police officer nodded, grimacing.

DI Kipper stood up.

"You best get back up top and report back to the station, I'll scout around here"

The Police officer nodded and walked off

DI Kipper walked further into the tunnel. He reached a junction and was about to turn left when his foot hit something. He crouched down and picked it up. The Doctors craned their necks to see what it was but DI Kipper had crouched down in such a way that their view of the object was obstructed. There was the sound of footsteps coming towards DI Kipper who put whatever it was into his pocket and pulled out a laser pistol. Out of the shadows in to the dimly lit tunnel stepped a figure recognisable as Jessica Reef PI.

"Jessica Reef PI," DI Kipper said with recognition in his voice.

"Detective Inspector Kipper" Jessica said in the same tone of voice, "I see you still rely on that old Mark Six laser pistol"

"I guess there's no point in me asking how you got past the security," DI Kipper continued, "so what are you doing here, nobody's cheating on anyone down here"

"I heard there had been another murder and though you could do with a hand. You know what with the mentality of the force, bull in a china shop and all that," Jessica replied.

"We've got everything under control" DI Kipper began.

"In control! Six dead, no clues, no suspects, no idea, hopeless" Jessica interrupted, "I'm surprised you didn't notice that," she pointed to an ancient bottle.

"An old bottle? What's that got to do with the murder!?" DI Kipper asked, his voice filling with anger.

"Quite possibly everything," Jessica replied, calmly.

Jessica reached out to touch the bottle, as she did swirling whirlpool of shadows leapt from the bottle.

"What's happening?" DI Kipper Shouted, his features distorting.

"I don't know," Jessica replied, "But I think we're about to........"

The Image broke up, went white and large red letters appeared on the blankness, they read "Memory files Damaged".

"So that's it is it?" The Sixth Doctor asked.

"Basically, yes. "DI Kipper replied.

"You were pulled through a portal to this temple, and you have no Idea why?" The Sixth Doctor asked.

"Yes, That's about it," Jessica Replied.

"The question is what do we do now?" The Seventh Doctor asked.

At that a stone slab slid open leaving only the shadows.

"Well, I think we know where to go now" The Sixth Doctor said.

As the group walked through the door it closed itself behind them.

The group tumbled out in to an abandoned city street, the sky above them was dark purple with clouds of silver.

"Someone is playing games with us" The Seventh Doctor mused, "and I doubt if it’s Poker."

There was an explosion down the street and the Fifth Doctor came running past them.

He stopped a short way away, looked at the wreckage and said to no-one in particular, "That should keep him busy for another few centuries"

The ground beneath the group collapsed and they fell down into a deep blue ocean.

Through the murky blue they could see the Fourth Doctor swimming away from a cave which was collapsing, His scarf trailing behind him.

A portal sucked them out into the vastness of space where the Third Doctor had just escaped from a spaceship falling into a vast star.

Space drained away into a volcanic crater where the Second Doctor was throwing something into a lava flow

An unnatural wind blew up around them obscuring their vision with sand.

They found themselves in a vast desert after a short while of staring around, Ace spotted something.

"Doctor! Look at this!" Ace shouted.

Ace was knelt in the sand by some bones. As both Doctors ran up to her Ace pulled one of the bones out of the sand and handed it to the Seventh Doctor.

The Bone was shaped like a Chess knight. Ace pulled more bones out of the sand each one shaped like a chess piece.

Ace looked up at the Seventh Doctor, who had a dark look on his face and seemed to be in thought.

"Professor," Ace said cautiously, "Chess Pieces?"

"I don't know" He responded, looking over to the Sixth Doctor who had a similar look on his face.

Suddenly a Deep grinding sound filled the air. An unnatural wind blew up a sand storm and the unusual shape of the TARDIS faded into existence.

"What is that!?" DI Kipper and Jessica exclaimed at the same time.

"That's our ship" The Sixth Doctor explained, running up to the TARDIS.

The Sixth Doctor placed his key in the lock and opened the door.

They stepped out of an invisible door, into what looked like somewhere in the south of Shropshire.

"In times of trouble, Think of England" The Sixth Doctor Exclaimed staring at the surroundings.

The group wandered over to a set of buildings nearby, when they reached them they saw that the buildings made a Train station called "Ashend".

A large Dark Green steam engine sat in the station at the head of a set of Brown and Cream coloured coaches.

The Seventh Doctor Whistled Appreciatively

"A Pullman Express," He Exclaimed, "someone is really pulling out all of the stops on this one."

A door towards the rear of the train swung open. "Step this way, If you will" A disembodied voice Ordered

The Seventh Doctor climbed aboard and the rest of the group followed. As the last of the group climbed aboard the door slammed shut and the train began to leave the station, picking up speed rapidly.

The Sixth doctor looked out of the window, his pocket watch in his hand, a speed sign sped past the window and his eyebrows rose in alarm.

"Quick!" He Exclaimed, "To the front of the train"

"What's the matter?" Peri asked.

"We're going far to fast and we're picking up speed" The Sixth Doctor Explained.

They Raced to the front of the train, The Sixth Doctor Soniced the Lock on the door to the tender, They shuffled down the narrow walkway through the tender, and the sight they saw in the cab shocked them, Instead of the usual Mass of Pipes, Gauges and Levers, all being worked By at least two Men, They were faced By A shear almost featureless Metal Wall, The Only Feature was a small speedometer which was showing their rising speed

"Well, Whoever is Manipulating this train....They've finally defeated us" The Sixth Doctor said In shock


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A43790097

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more