TOASTMASTERS

0 Conversations

SPEAKING WITHOUT FREAKING!

Do you get the creeps when asked to speak at a wedding?

Do you want to run a mile rather than run a meeting?

Want to go for that promotion but get embarrassed talking about yourself?

Would you love to tell a group of friends about your opinion on Sub Atomic Physics but your voice dries up as soon as you open your mouth?

Then Toastmasters is for you!

So what is Toastmasters?

No, it’s not for learning how to make a great breakfast.

Toastmasters in an International Non Profit Organisation whose aim is to help people overcome their fear of public speaking in a fun, relaxed, friendly environment.

There are thousands of clubs worldwide and over 15 in Christchurch alone! Some clubs have over 30 members, while others, like mine, have only 10 each week – not quite so intimidating!

What happens at a meeting?

Most clubs meet weekly or fortnightly for 1 to 1 ½ hours. Meetings have a common format that has been devised, with various ‘roles’ within that format, so that all who attend get a chance to speak – regardless of experience.

A typical meeting would go as follows:

Welcome

Meeting is started by the ‘Sergeant at Arms’ who welcomes members & guests to the meeting & introduces the Toastmaster for the meeting.

The Toastmaster

Then takes over and runs the rest of the meeting.

Grammarian

Introduces an interesting word for speakers to try & incorporate into their role or speech. They may also listen out for interesting words & phrases used during the meeting or count the ‘ums & ahhs’.

Toastmaster’s Week

The Toastmaster spends 5 minutes talking about their week or an item of news that has taken their interest.

Prepared Speeches

1 or 2 members give a 5-7 minute speech on a topic of their choice, introduced by a fellow member who will evaluate them.

On joining Toastmasters you are issued with a book of 10 speeches to do. On completion you receive a CTM certificate (competent toastmaster). You can then go on to complete ATM books (advanced toastmaster)

Table Topics

My favourite! The Table topics master takes the floor & invites all who have not spoken yet to come up & speak for 2 mins on a topic of their choosing! This could be anything from "What is your favourite film & why?" to "You’re Prime Minister for a day – what would you do?" A great way to improve your impromptu speaking skills & tons of fun!

Coffee Break Time!

PART 2

Welcome back by ‘Sergeant at Arms’

Evaluation of Speaker (s)

A fellow Toastmaster evaluates the speech (s), commending on things done well, recommending on things that need improvement.

Evaluation of Table Topics

A Fellow Toastmaster does brief evaluation of everyone who did a Table Topic speech, often giving their own opinion on the subjects covered.

Grammarian’s Report

The Grammarian reports back on use of their word & anything else that they liked.

Time Keepers Report

The person who has been timing the speeches comes up to advise how long each person spoke for.

General Evaluation

One person comes forward to evaluate all who haven’t been evaluated already: The Toastmaster, The Grammarian, The Evaluators & The Timekeeper.

General Business

Review of any club business & planning of next week’s meeting.

Why do I love Toastmasters?

After a few meetings you forget you’re speaking in front of a crowd of strangers, more like exchanging views and opinions with a group of friends. And most of all it’s FUN! Every meeting is full of smiles & laughter.

GIVE IT A GO!

Want to know more? Talk to me, KiwiBeatle ...

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A4342998

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more