Ghostbusters - work in progress

1 Conversation

-Who're you gonna call?-

"Are you troubled by strange noises in the night? Do you experience feelings of dread in your basement or attic? Have you or your family actually seen a spook, spectre or ghost? If the answer is yes, then don't wait another minute. Just pick up the phone and call the professionals - Ghostbusters."

-The craze in context-

The Eighties are generally frowned upon for their angular visual style, the regular use of synthesisers in popular music, and the prominence of Margaret Thatcher. However, as a decade for cinemagoers they could not be faulted for top quality family blockbusters - they gave us The Goonies, Labyrinth, Gremlins, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, ET, the second and third Star Wars films and many more besides. Most of these are considered modern classics, but there is only one film that is quoted (with the exception of Star Wars) today with as much fondness as when it first took the world by storm. "The one, the only, Ghostbusters!"

Ghostbusters is not just a single entity. The success of the first film brought forth a supreme legacy of tie-ins, spin-offs and merchandise which are still enjoyed by children and the young-at-heart even today. The following information should help you understand just what makes Ghostbusters the phenomenon it has been and hopefully wil continue to be.

-The Films-
*Ghostbusters

Ghostbusters was the film that started it all. It was written by Dan Akroyd and Harold Ramis, and directed and produced by Ivan Reitman.

The premise was simple. Ray Stanz (Akroyd), Egon Spengler (Ramis) and Peter Venkman (Bill Murray) were three students of 'Paranormal Studies' at Columbia University. They are investigating paranormal activity<FOOTNOTE>Or at least Stanz and Spengler are. Venkman, (who is described by the Dean as a poor scientist whose "theories are the worst kind of popular tripe" whose "methods are sloppy" and his "conclusions highly questionable") is busy amusing a female Coed by repeatedly electrocuting a sophomore.</FOOTNOTE> - ghosts - and are called to a city library where a paranormal sighting has been reported. This is their first encounter with a ghost, after which Egon reveals that he thinks he knows how to contain a spirit indefinately.

When the three return to their labs, they find their equipment being dragged away and a ferocious Dean expells them from the University. He seems particularly adverse to Venkman, whose temperament is similar to that of a game show host.

Ejected from University, home and financial security, the despondent trio worry about what to do next. Venkman then decides that they should go into business - using Egon's 'ghost containment' idea as a premise. They mortgage Stanz's parents' house and use the money to set up their business - Ghostbusters.

The Ghostbusters use a dilapidated fire station as their HQ, making use of the storage space and garage facilities. In the garage they park their famous transport - "Ecto 1". Fitting with the underlying comedic quality of the film, Stanz's chosen vehicle for the group is a clapped-out Cadillac ambulance, which has plenty of room for the "Proton Packs", but deficient breaks and suspension.

Proton Packs are of course the portable nuclear accelerators the Ghostbusters have strapped to their backs, which they use to 'lasso' ghosts in an ionised beam of pyrotechnics. They then suck the ghosts into shoe-box sized traps (again amidst a mass of special effects) and incarcerate the ghosts in a large metal 'containment unit' (which, while lacking in pyrotechnics, does have a red lightbulb and a loud buzzer) back at the HQ.

This is how we find the Ghostbusters: in debt, unemployed and being glared at by their bored receptionist, Janine Melnitz. That is until their first case - in which they capture their first ghost, 'Slimer' (everyone's favourite non-focused, non-terminal repeating phantasm) at a large posh hotel, and charge a very high price. They immediately rise to infamy in the media, and Winston Zeddmore (Ernie Hudson) joins the team as the fourth Ghostbuster.

As the Ghostbusters capture and contain an increasing number of ghosts, they realise that something 'big' is happening&#8230; this build up reaches a climax when Walter Peck, an officer from the Environmental Protection Agency and complete git, decides to shut down the Containment Unit because he thinks it may produce noxious waste chemicals. This results in a technicolor explosion as the roof of the fire station is blown off and all the ghosts escape, leading to the arrest of the Ghostbusters by command of Peck.

The Ghostbusters are soon let out of prison however, when Zuul, a Babylonian demigod (or somesuch), uses a high rise apartment block as a kind of spiritual semiconductor to bring about the destruction of the world - as is so often the underlying theme of most blockbusters. But only in Ghostbusters could the destroyer of the world be a giant 'Stay Puffed' marshmallow man. Anyone unfamiliar with this image could think of something in between King Kong and the Michellen Man, only as tall as a skyscraper and wearing a sailor hat. Ingenious.

Needless to say, the Ghostbusters save the day, and are loved by the public, both on film and in reality.

The film was a success because of it's wide range of appeal - to children, because of the spectacular effects, and to everyone else because of its hilarious premise, characters and a relentless stream of amusing banter. The subplot of the film focuses on the antics of Lewis Tully (Rick Moranis - who starred in another 80s hit 'Honey I Shrunk the Kids') and Dana Barrret (Sigourney Weaver of 'Alien' fame), owners of neighbouring apartments in Zuul's high-rise gateway to the netherworld.


*Ghostbusters 2

With the original being such a success, director/producer Reitman and the Ramis/Akroyd writing team produce a corking follow-up, introducing elements from the children's animated cartoon series 'The Real Ghostbusters'.

This time, the threat is more sinister - the evil spirit of a sorcerer, Vigo, is trapped in a painting and is striving to be reincarnated in a baby boy - the baby of Venkman's love-interest (but not of his conception), Dana Barrett. Barret was the woman who discovered Zuul's existence in the first film.

The Ghostbusters are soon on Vigo's case, which is just as well. They've reached a low in employment and are having to rely on appearing at children's birthday parties for subsistence. Unfortunately for them, Vigo turns out to be a bigger problem than they thought - he's channelling a huge flow of purple supernatural ooze under Manhattan. The Ghostbusters soon coin it 'mood slime', as they discover that it reacts to the moods of those around it.

Without going into too much detail (you'll have to watch the film), the only way to defeat Vigo involves brining the statue of liberty to life, and controlling it using a Super Nintendo arcade-style joystick. During the film, it appears to be the logical thing to do.

The second film, while strong on effects and story for the younger viewers, isn't quite as 'sparky' as the first - but is still very entertaining.


-The TV Series-
*'Real' Ghostbusters (and Slimer)
*Extreme Ghostbusters

-GB Mania-
*The toys
*The merchandise
*The gimmicks (e.g. 'ghost in a can')
*The fans ('Ghostheads')



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A432848

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more