Mnemonic Devices

10 Conversations

What is a Mnemonic Device?

A Mnemonic Device is a phrase used to help remember things. Most often they are used by students to remember their material. I am greatly fond of these things and hope to create a list to help all people.

Some Mnemonic Devices

  • I Prayed More At Church Today: The six stages of Cell Mitosis (Interphase, Prophase, Metaphase, Anaphase, Cytokinesis, and Telephase)
  • IPMATE: Alternate Cell Mitosis Device (Interphase, Prophase, Metaphase, Anaphase, Telephase, End of Cell Divsion)
  • Eddie Can Make Pie: The American Time Zones East to West (Eastern, Central, Mountain, Pacific)
  • My Very Eager Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas: The Planets of the Solar System (Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto)
  • Bugs Bunny Reckons Only Yogi's Gran Brews Grape Wine: Colours used on resistors to indicate the value (Black, Brown, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple, and White)
  • ROY G BIV: Colours of the Rainbow (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet)
  • Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally: Order of Operations in a Linear Function (Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction)
  • How I need a drink, alcoholic of course, after the heavy chapters involving quantum mechanics: The first fifteen digits of pi (3.14159265358979... Look at the number of letters in each word.)
  • HOMES: The Great Lakes (Huron, Ontario, Michigan, Erie, and Superior)
  • Why Are Japanese Men Miniature: The first five presidents of the United States (Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe)
  • Every Good Boy Does Fine: Names of notes on the lines in Treble Clef from bottom to top (EGBDF)
  • Every space has a FACE: Names of notes in the spaces in Treble Clef from bottom to top (FACE)
  • Good Bands Do Fine Always: Names of the notes on the lines in Bass Clef from bottom to top (GBDFA)
  • All Cows Eat Grass: Names of the notes on the spaces in Bass Clef from bottom to top (ACEG)
  • Bears Eat All Day at Granny's Cookie Factory: Order of flats in a key signiture (BEADGCF, reverse it for order of sharps)

Of course, there are many more such devices. There are also many variations on the devices I have placed here. Feel free to come up with your own.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A432145

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Currently in:

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more