RSPB Leighton Moss, Lancashire (UK)

3 Conversations

The RSPB reserve at Leighton Moss, (Silverdale, UK), is one of the most important breeding sites in this country, for one of our most endangered species of bird, the Bittern.


The reserve is situated at Silverdale, which is close by Morecambe Bay, in the north west of the country. It can be reached either by rail to Silverdale, then walking about 200 meters to the reserve, or by road. From the M6, junction 35A north of Carnforth, take the A6 road. The reserve is signposted from there, and it is about 3 miles away.


Leighton Moss reserve is open all year round, from 9am to 9pm (or dusk if earlier) except Christmas Day. The visitor centre is open from 10am till 5pm. Entry is free to RSPB members. Non member adults pay £4.00, children £1.00, OAP consession is £2.50. Family tickets are available at £8.00.


There are a total of seven hides on the site, three on the main reserve, and two a short distance from the main reserve. These two are reached by leaving the visitor centre, and turning to the right. Follow the main road and take the next turning on the right. Two extra hides overlook Morecambe Bay, about two miles from the visitor centre. These hides are reached by leaving the main site, and turning left. Follow the road past the golf course, and then take the next turn on the left. Go down this road and cross the railway. Carry on down the road until the dirt track turning on the right is reached. Go under the rail bridge and turn left. The hides are reached by going through the gates and walking down the track.
All three hides on the main site have wheelchair access, as has the larger of the two nearer ones that are reached by taking the first option of turning right after leaving the main site.


In summer, the reserve is mostly visited for the earlier mentioned Bittern, but it is also visited by Marsh Harriers and Hen Harriers. Bearded Tits can also be seen, as can Reed warblers. Occasional Osprey and Peregrine Falcons visit. Small mammals such as shrew and water vole are abundant. Red deer and Otters can also be seen by the patient observer. In winter, the reserve plays host to a large variety of overwintering wildfowl, including Pintail and Garganey.


For more details, visit the RSPB website at http://www.RSPB.com





Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A428113

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more