Stepping Stones

0 Conversations

Book Review: (part of the Popular Science Book Project - A4166336)

Stephen Drury - Stepping Stones

An masterful examination of the history of the Earth and its inhabitants over the last 4.5 billion years, including the part biology has played in climate and geology, which may be more than many people would have considered.

It is terribly hard knowing where to start in describing this book, given the number of threads woven to create the whole picture.
It begins with a look at the basics of energy balance and climatic circulation, and explanations of the origin of the solar system.
Exploring the interplay of life, geology and occasional internal and external catastrophes gives a deep and sometimes scary insight into the apparent fragility of lifeforms, yet the simultaneous robustness and transforming power of life and evolution. Even the sterile geological feedback mechanisms that can (within limits) eventually drag back a seemingly frozen-solid world to warmth and life, or cool a scorching planet back down to more pleasant temperatures, can seem almost alive.

As well as straight geology, and associated topics, such as the influence of continental layout on the Earths's weather patterns, there is much biology in this book, yet so intimately linked with the planet itself that one almost feels biology should be a subset of geology. Even the final chapter on human evolution (partly speculative, as all such considerations are) is linked to the changing surface of the earth.

Having a reasonable interest in geology, and having acquired bits and pieces of knowledge over the years, I thought I had a fairly good overall understanding of the Earth's history, but this book showed me better and deeper relationships between the things I did know, cleared away the odd misconception, and filled in many gaps, like the very best of teachers might do.

I'm not sure there are many books I have ever read which were *so* good that the obvious lack of room for a sequel was almost a cause for sadness alongside the pure enjoyment of reading, or which were so good that I would go out and buy several copies to give to likely-interested friends, but this was one of those books.
If you are interested in the development of the Earth, or the development of life, (and especially if you don't know just what *is* so special about iron), buy or borrow this book.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A4263923

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more