Night Marchers

1 Conversation


Night marchers are haunters en masse, and are native to the Hawaiian Islands. Most haunted sites can only lay claim to a few ghosts, and only over a small, specified area, like a stretch of lonely road or a graveyard. Night Marchers tend to be just the opposite-- large groups of ghosts, roaming entire coasts of the island chain, usually spotted from afar by their ghostly torches, bobbing along in a row.


Legend says that to look one in the eye typically results in death, sometimes instantaneous, with a quick stabbing by a spear, but sometimes in a slow, wasting manner. Legend also says that they can be fooled into thinking you're dead or dying if you just stay deathly still with your eyes closed, and they will just walk by you, with perhaps one or two glancing back at you as they leave. The good news is that they have pre-determined routes and rarely deviate from them.


One story reads a little differently, though. Supposedly, about fifty years ago, a little girl's aunt lived close to one of the Night Marchers' paths. One night while staying with this aunt, the little girl and an older friend went out after dark, despite the aunt's warnings1. The two girls bcame seperated, and the little girl saw the night marchers' torches bobbing toward her at a fantastic rate. She played dead, as she was told to by her aunt, but before long she realized she was laying on a sharp rock and squirmed slightly. She heard a loud voice say something sharply2, and she opened her eyes in surprise. She instantly regretted her mistake, but noticed that the marchers had turned a sharp right, off of the path, and were now being led away from her. Before she closed her eyes again, she saw that her favourite uncle (who had died only months earlier) was at the head of the procession, and had saved her life by spotting her on the path, then commanding the troupe to deviate from their normal route. The little girl supposedly lives to this day.

1Their reason for going out escapes me... it was something like to steal mangoes from a neighbor's tree.2In Hawaiian, presumably.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A418150

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more