A Conversation for The H2IQ Quiz - Be The First Among Equals

Sunday 13th October 2002

Post 21

egon

No, it's from the reissues that they did either last year or arlier this year, I'm not sure which, but it's apparently the original Pan edition


Sunday 13th October 2002

Post 22

spook

first things first.

1. the answer is The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. what greebo put is axactly what is there.
2. the theory is mentioned again in restaurant at the end of the universe like egon said, however, the text does not match up exactly, and there are quite a few differences.

the answer is definately The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. there can be no doubt of that now that i have compared using computer technology.

hope that clears everything up a bit for everyone.

spook


Sunday 13th October 2002

Post 23

egon

Just out of interest, where does it occur in Hitch Hikers Guide?


Sunday 13th October 2002

Post 24

egon

Because I've got an internet version up, and I can find "So this is it we're going to die" at the end of the vogon sequence, but no mention of the theory.


Sunday 13th October 2002

Post 25

spook

ok. in restaurant at the end of the universe, the section in question:

"Quiet," said Ford and Zaphod, "we're thinking."
"So this is it," said Arthur, "we're going to die."
"I wish you'd stop saying that," said Ford.
It is worth repeating at this point the theories that Ford had come up with, on his first encounter with human beings, to account for their peculiar habit of continually stating and restating the very very obvious, as it 'It's a nice day," or "You're very tall," or "So this is it, we're going to die."
His first theory was that if human beings didn't keep exercising their lips, their mouths probably seized up.
After a few months of observation he had come up with a second theory, which was this - "If human beings don't keep exercising their lips, their brains start working."
In fact, this second theory is more literally true of the Belcebron people of Kakrafoon.

fidn that in your internet version. it is in mine, but as i said, what is there is slightly difefrent to what greebo put.

spook


Sunday 13th October 2002

Post 26

egon

No, i was looking for the version in the FIRST book, which you said was in the vogon scene?


Sunday 13th October 2002

Post 27

Mu Beta

That'll be when they get beamed on board the Vogon ship by the Dentrassi, and Arthur says: "It's very dark" *only a guess*

B


Sunday 13th October 2002

Post 28

egon

..because= I've just read through the vogon scene here: http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~thiekeju/hitch1.txt and can';t find it.


Sunday 13th October 2002

Post 29

egon

Sorry, simulpost, I'll nip off and check that.


Sunday 13th October 2002

Post 30

egon

OK, I've found it. Well done spook, you were right. Congratualations.


Sunday 13th October 2002

Post 31

egon

you see, I was assuming it was off "So this is it, we're going to die" like it was in the 2nd book, so I was looking too late in the scene smiley - biggrin


Sunday 13th October 2002

Post 32

spook

Thanks Egon! smiley - biggrin I was just lucky the particular passage greebo put was from the first book this time and not the second.

spook


Sunday 13th October 2002

Post 33

Mu Beta

*waits patiently for Greebo's first Pratchett quote*

B


Sunday 13th October 2002

Post 34

egon

I thought I was in luck whwn i happened to be online 9 minutes after greebo posted the question as well. Normally by the time I find it there's about 346 answers, some of which tend to be right.


Sunday 13th October 2002

Post 35

spook

same here. i'm usually in the middle of a lesson at school when he posts the question, and people answer pretty quickly.

spook


Sunday 13th October 2002

Post 36

Mu Beta

I'm usually in PR, or Sub-edding. Y'know, doing something useful smiley - winkeye

Good to see you've volunteered for subbing, btw Egon - I can confirm that A-Level English Language is immensely useful for the job smiley - winkeye

B


Sunday 13th October 2002

Post 37

GreeboTCat

Well done spook... the quote was indeed Mister Adams' first Hiker book... The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy... a point to you... ~wink~... and you still get even though you think me a tom cat... ~big grin~


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more