A Conversation for The H2IQ Quiz - Be The First Among Equals

Sunday 13th October 2002

Post 1

GreeboTCat

A literary question today... just to keep you on your toes... Name the book where you can find the follow words... oh... and the author as well please... ~wink~

'If human beings don't keep exercising their lips, he thought, their mouths probably seize up. After a few months' consideration and observation he abandoned this theory in favour of a new one. If they don't keep on exercising their lips, he thought, their brains start working. After a while he abandoned this one as well as being obstructively cynical...'


Sunday 13th October 2002

Post 2

egon

Restaurant At The End of The Universe- Douglas Adams


Sunday 13th October 2002

Post 3

spook

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams


Sunday 13th October 2002

Post 4

egon

I couldn't remember which book it was in, but I'm sure on TV and radio it was while they were in the all black ship. No?


Sunday 13th October 2002

Post 5

Vip

I'm quite sure it's The Hitchhikers' Guide. Is it not one of the first observations Ford makes about Earthmen?


Sunday 13th October 2002

Post 6

Vip

(I do mean the first book. Damn all this being articulate...)


Sunday 13th October 2002

Post 7

spook

in TV and radio itis on the black spaceship, however, in the book it appears much earlier, when they are on the vogon ship or something i think. but wherever he said it, i'm sure he said it in the first book. at least, i hope he did so i can get my first ever point.

spook


Sunday 13th October 2002

Post 8

egon

I thought it was at the end of the radio and Tv series (and hence the second book), when Arthur says "So this is it, we're all going to die" and then the narrator goes off on a tangent about Ford's first impressions about human's stating the obvious, such as 'It's A NIce Day', 'You're Very tall' and 'so this is it, we're all going to die.'"

Correct me if I'm wrong.


Sunday 13th October 2002

Post 9

Vip

Oh of course. Have you read the foreword to the most recent edition? (titled 'Some unhelpful remarks from the author' which explains at least some of the mess). The whole thing is a trifle complicated!


Sunday 13th October 2002

Post 10

Vip

Simulpost, sorry.


Sunday 13th October 2002

Post 11

spook

that is where it is in the TV series, but there are quite a few difefrences between the TV series and books, including where ford says about stating the obvious.

spook


Sunday 13th October 2002

Post 12

spook

ok i just downloaded the first hitchhiker book of the internet and searched for the text, and found it. it is in the first book, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and it is when they are on the vogon ship at first, and arthur says it's dark.

spook


Sunday 13th October 2002

Post 13

Vip

Yes! We're right! I could have just got my copy out, i suppose, but that would have meant going all the way back to my room and stuff...


Sunday 13th October 2002

Post 14

You can call me TC

The question was "which book" - unfortunately, comparing with the radio series won't help. That passage is one of many which sums up a lot of things that we all must have had thoughts on at some time or the other.

And stating the obvious is one of my particular hates.


Sunday 13th October 2002

Post 15

Mu Beta

Damn it! Why do I always miss the easy ones?

Tomorrow we'll get a question that involves advanced calculus. I'll no doubt sit around scratching my head for ten minutes, and then simulpost with Justin, who usually gets in before me (in a manner of speaking).

B


Sunday 13th October 2002

Post 16

egon

Er, I hate to diagree with the internet, but my copy of Restaurant at the end of the universe (the commemorative pre-dog-eareed edition), which i flicked through when I nipped home for an hour, has that quote on page 129.


Sunday 13th October 2002

Post 17

egon

...which is just after they discover that they are on disaster Area's stunt ship, about a page after marvin says "Dive into the sun, hence th name sun-dive" or words to that effect.


Sunday 13th October 2002

Post 18

Mu Beta

I believe Egon may be correct, y'know.

B


Sunday 13th October 2002

Post 19

spook

is your version a book of the TV series or something Egon, and do the words match up exactly, because they do for the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy. however, i am just downloading restaurant at the end of the universe now to check. i'll tell u the result in a minute.

spook


Sunday 13th October 2002

Post 20

Mu Beta

Unless it's a trick question, in which case the answer is:

Both H2G2 and Restaurant At The End of the Universe, both by DNA.

Just to get in there first smiley - winkeye

B


Key: Complain about this post