Airtime

0 Conversations


One of the elusive Holy Grails of rollercoaster fans,
airtime refers to a moment of negative G-force. The name is based on the motion of the rider during said moment. As the coaster train falls away from the rider (such as when cresting a hill,) the rider's body rises from the seat and floats ever so briefly. This brief moment of limited contact with the train does ever-so-much-fun things to the rider's internal organs.


Airtime is a nebulous thing, and sometimes takes a little looking for. Some coasters have it in abundance. Some don't have it at all. Seat selection can heavily influence airtime. The basic rule is that the closer the rider is to the front of the train, the more airtime he or she will experience. This is not an absolute, however, and will require experimentation with a given coaster.


Airtime can also be affected by weather, (how hot it is,) by time of day, (trains run faster as the day progresses,) and by how many people are riding. (Trains run faster with more riders.)


"Airtime" is also the name of the excellent newsletter published by the RollerCoaster Club of Great Britain.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A403426

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more