Mushrooms

1 Conversation

Mushrooms come in many varieties, most of which are poisonous to some degree. Commercially grown mushrooms of course are completely edible. Beware of wild ones however.
The two most toxic mushrooms are the aptly named Death Cap and the equally well named Destroying Angel. These are from the same family and are readily misidentified as look-alike edibles. They contain amatoxins in such concentrations that 1 or 2 grams of these mushrooms can kill you. These amatoxins affect the liver and kidneys, inhibiting the growth of proteins and subsequent failure of these organs.
If you have an inkling to forage for wild mushrooms it is not advisable to eat what you find unless you are an expert or someone who eats it first and is still alive has identified them. I have never eaten a poisonous mushroom. Hence I am able to enter this article in the guide.
The so-called Magic Mushrooms contain a toxin called psilocybes (psilocin and psilocybin) these are the psychoactive mushrooms with hallucinogenic properties. They are illegal in the U.S. and probably other countries.
Commercial mushrooms come in such varieties at such reasonable prices that the only people who need to eat wild ones are the same people that eat Puffer fish.
The most popular of the commercial varieties are the white buttons, Crimini, Portabella, Portabellini (small Portabellas) Shiitake, Oyster, and Enoki.
There are thousands of cultivated mushrooms available throughout the world each with a subtly different flavour. Some mild like the white and some full-bodied like the Shiitake.
Mushrooms have long been associated with aphrodisiacs, spells and cure-all potions. Ongoing research is proving this to be true. At least the medicinal side. The Chinese extensively use mushrooms in their cooking and wholly believe in their medicinal value, including cancer prevention or even cure. Once thought to have no nutritional value, that also has been shown untrue. They are fat-free and contain no sodium. They’re low in calories and are packed with important nutrients. They are mineral-rich with iron, potassium and magnesium, as well as riboflavin and B vitamins.
Enjoy mushrooms to their fullest but be careful.
For interesting info on the history of, and cooking of mushrooms, visit http://www.Moneys.com and for ideas and products to grow your own try http://www.fungi.com


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A402661

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more