Franco-Prussian War

2 Conversations


If you asked most people about the Franco-Prussian war, which lasted from 1870-71, they probably would not be able to tell you much about it. In fact, the Franco-Prussian war is a perfect example of Otto van Bismarck's cunning tactics, and it actually set the stage for German unification.

The Players


Obviously, the Franco-Prussian war contained two main players: France and Prussia. Wedged in between the two was Germany, now run almost completely by Otto von Bismarck.

Causes of the War


By 1866, Prussia had dominated most of northern Germany, and had completly wrestled control from Austria. However, Napolean III of France feared a strong, unified German nation to the east, and was looking for any excuse to humiliate Prussia. In Spain, Queen Isabella II was overthrown. Looking to take over the monarchy was Prince Leopold of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen, a relative of the king of Prussia, King William I. If this were to occur, then France would be completly surrounded by members of the Hohenzollern dynasty. Bismarck realized that this may be his chance to dispose of France permenantly. However, much to the dismay of Bismarch, King William I withdrew his candidacy for Spain, in order to avoid war. France pushed for a formal apology to France from William I. When Bismarck recieved a telegraph from William I with this request, he altered it to make it look very insulting to the French, hoping this would cause France to declare war. It did just this, as France declared war on Prussia on July 15, 1870.

The War


At this time in history, Prussia had the largest military in the world. The French were really no match for the better-trained, better-organized, better-led Prussian army. Additionally, The southern German states honored an old military alliance, and came to the side of the Prussians. The Prussian army marched into Sedan on Setemper 2, 1870 and captured a large French force, including Napoleon III himself. Paris, however, continued to fight for the next four months, until it was captured on January 28, 1871.

The Aftermath


A Peace treaty was singed in May that had France pay 5 million francs to Prussia, as well as give up the eastern provindinces of Alscae and Lorraine to the German state. Even before this, the southern German states agreed to enter the North German confederation, or the unified northern German states. On January 18, 1871, in the Hall of Mirrors at Versailles, France, Germany officially become unified under the Prussian monarchy and William I was proclaimed the emperor of the Second German Empire. Due to Prussian influence, Germany became a strong state based on values of militarism as opposed to liberalism. This would eventually transform into a seperate Germany nation, that would become on of the strongest country in Europe.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A3982629

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Currently in:

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more