A Conversation for Volunteer to be a Sub-editor

WANTS TO BE A SUB-EDITOR!!!!

Post 1

Kate443

Hello I am Kate443. I am looking to be a sub editor.

why? It seems like fun and im really smart and my language and computer skills are great.

I have Lots of free time and would love to be a sub-editor.

I chose this becuase i also want to be an editor in the school paper.It just looks like fun and i am picky and choosey but i will always look at the good ones carefully!

If you make me a sub-editor... im sure to give it my all. smiley - biggrin


WANTS TO BE A SUB-EDITOR!!!!

Post 2

Malabarista - now with added pony

Hi Kate, and welcome to h2g2, or hootoo, as we call it. smiley - smiley I apologise for the delay in getting back to you - with the start of tourist season, work has gotten ridiculously busy for me!

I see that an <./>ACE</.> has dropped by your space to welcome you with some handy links and so on - this site can be confusing for beginners! You can ask your ACE about anything you need to know - or me; I'm a person, not an automated message, and I'm a sub-editor myself. I've just started a new job and can't devote as much time to this site as I'd like, but I'll try to get back to you within a day or two.

Now about sub-editing:

You should probably write a few Edited Guide Entries of your own before you become a sub-editor, so you can learn first hand how the process works and get acquianted with the Writing-Guidelines and the house style. That's the usual way round. Sometimes, the Editors will let new volunteers skip straight to subbing (after a brief test), but they're rather busy at the moment, since we have a site redesign in progress.

Why don't you have a look around<./> PeerReview</.> while you wait for an official answer from the Editors? You can comment on works in progress there (since those are the entries you'd later be subbing) and, of course, you can submit one of your own.

If you don't know what to write about, you can check the <./>FleaMarket</.> for abandoned entries to finish instead. That would be a good way to learn to work with what other people have written.

One little tip, meant in the most constructive way - I see a few spelling/grammar errors in the post above. Especially when applying for an editing job, the preview button is your friend. smiley - winkeye

Good luck! And if you need any help, just leave a reply here and I'll be happy to answer any questions.


WANTS TO BE A SUB-EDITOR!!!!

Post 3

The H2G2 Editors

Hi Kate443, and welcome to h2g2! And thank you to Malabarista for your fulsome response. Kate, as Mal says, if you're still keen, let us know here. We look forward to hearing from you.

h2g2 Eds. smiley - ok


WANTS TO BE A SUB-EDITOR!!!!

Post 4

Kate443

wow. I have gaven it my all! I love writing and editing! Sorry i havent been on in a REALLY long time. smiley - smiley Ive been cataching up on family and writing. i would LOVE to be a sub editor! I adore them and they are my roll models! So is that a yes or no?


WANTS TO BE A SUB-EDITOR!!!!

Post 5

Kate443

hahahaha. Yes i am always in a hurry. i have been working on that quite nicely actually. I am now taking it slow and steady. so you don't have to worry about that ever again!


WANTS TO BE A SUB-EDITOR!!!!

Post 6

The H2G2 Editors

Hi Kate443. Your enthusiasm is great. We have a subbing test that we're in the process of updating, so we'll get that to you as soon as we can. In the meantime, maybe it would be good if you took a look at some of the conversations in PeerReview to get an idea of the sort of Entries being written and the issues and points that come up. Maybe even add your two cents' worth, if you're feeling brave. smiley - ok


WANTS TO BE A SUB-EDITOR!!!!

Post 7

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned



Kate you might get there quicker by using PeerReview smiley - winkeye

lil xx


WANTS TO BE A SUB-EDITOR!!!!

Post 8

The H2G2 Editors

Yes, just testing.


WANTS TO BE A SUB-EDITOR!!!!

Post 9

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned


*giggles*

smiley - tongueout


Key: Complain about this post