Allgäu

1 Conversation

Here a report on the Algau as deduced from my few visits.


The Allgäu (speak "Al" as in "Al Bundy" "g" as the G in "good" and "oih!" as in "Oih, you there!") is a part of bavaria. It is found at the end of the Bundesautobahn No. 7. It´s Capital is Kempten, the two other Major towns are: Füssen and Kaufbäuren.

Best about the Algäu are the scenery and the cheeses. There are a number of footpaths through the mountains which I havn´t jet walked. I also haven´t seen Neuschwanstein or the Ludwig the IInd musical.

There are also a few lakes and a lot of tourists. Look out for americans and japanese. A lot of non-bavarians come into the Allgäu and it is quite a known holiday resort for germans.

The Algäu is not to far from Austria. You can go on through Füssen to the town called Reute. If you are interessted in Waterfalls you will want to have a look at the "Lechfall" which is situated just short before the border.

I´ve been to Füssen and Kempten. Kempten has got the better shops. Füssen has got the more interessting inner city. Both have got old stones to look. There are quite a few tourist atractions ontop of the castles and lakes, for which the Allgäu is renown.

If you are interessted in cheese you best go to the places called "Sennerei". Normaly they advertise at the side of the road, and you can see signs saying "Milch, Käse und Butter."

Accomodation: There are the usual "Ferienwohnungen", which can be quite resonable. A lot of farms offer accomodation.
Food. Try "Schneebälle:" They are made of a relativly dry pastry, some are covered in choclate or icingsugar.
Bread and cheese are worthwhile trying.

I´ve only been to one Füssen pub, that is the "Schiffwirtschaft" It´s at the old bridge over the Lech outside the towncentre. If you are there, go and try a "Priegel". They are a local kind of bread filled with cheese, ham and a few other things available and are baked in the oven. Prices are resonable, from 7,50 DM to 10,50 DM.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A394968

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more