The Ultimate Omlette Sandwich

1 Conversation

We're always hearing from our European continental cousins (except the Dutch) that "English bread" is pappy and good for nothing. But I beg to differ. It is good for sandwiches. In particular the Omlette Sandwich. This must - this is obligatory - be made on some Mothers' Pride type of bread. It is taste heaven. HQ Yummy Sandwich City. And it is made like this:


You need:

  • Sliced bread of your preference (I like brown, but white tastes pretty yummy too)
  • Butter/margerine for spreading on the bread (not too thinly please - forget about fat and cholesterol just this once)
  • 1 or 2 eggs (depending on how many sandwiches are being made - as a general rule, 1 egg makes 1 1/2 rounds of sandwiches)
  • dash of milk
  • peas (fresh or frozen)
  • sliced mushrooms - or other fungus (oyster mushrooms are particularly good in this)
  • butter and/or olive oil (for frying)
  • Brie, Camembert or Blue Cheese (or other melty cheese of your choice, Feta is also good)
  • salt and/or black pepper (to taste)


And this is how it's done:

Heat oil and butter in a small omlette pan (until the butter has melted and started to bubble). Add the mushrooms and a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper. Stir around so that the mushrooms are all coated in butter/oil and leave to cook for a while. Meanwhile beat your egg with a little milk and some salt and pepper. You may add some herbs at this stage (Tarragon is good with egg dishes or Thyme). Beat it very well. The mushrooms should be starting to brown a bit. Then add the peas, turn up the heat and stir vigourously. Make sure there is enough oil/butter in the pan, and add the egg. Give it a good stir around to distribute the mushrooms and peas. While the omlette is cooking place the slices of bread in pairs and spread butter/margerine on one side of each slice of bread. On one slice per pair place slices of your chosen cheese. (this is also a good time to make a mug of tea/coffee to drink with your sandwich). When the egg is set, flip (or turn) the omlette to cook the second side (as an alternative you can "set" the top by finishing it off under a pre-heated grill.) Using a fish slice (plastic if using a non-stick pan) gently quarter the omlette and place 2 pieces on top of the cheese. Close the sandwich, cut it in half and eat while still hot. Bliss!


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A391349

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more