Gnomon: Italian Grammar

0 Conversations

Do not trust anything you read on this page!

I'm learning Italian using Duolingo. This teaches by providing lots of examples and never explaining anything, so I'm having to figure it out as I go along. I'm recording my thoughts on the way that Italian works here, but there are sure to be things I've got wrong and lots of exceptions I haven't encountered.

The Alphabet

Italian does not seem to include the following letters:

j k w y

Examples of words with all the other letters: ape burro casa due e finche gatto ho io la mi noi o papa questo ragazzo su ti uva voi x? zoo

Word Endings

Italian words, with very few exceptions, end in a vowel. Exceptions I've encountered:

non per

  • Nouns ending in -o are masculine and form their plural by changing the ending to -i.
  • Nouns ending in -a are feminine and form their plural by changing the ending to -e.
  • Nouns ending in -e can be masculine or feminine. The plural ends in -i. La chiave the key, le chiavi the keys (feminine).
  • Nouns do not end in -u.

Exceptions: uomo man, uomini men.

Definite Articles

The definite article, which is "the" in English, has lots of different formsL

GenderTypeSingularPlural
MasculineNormalili
Starting with vowell'gli
Starting with z, sp, stlogli
FeminineNormallale
Starting with vowell'le

Italian uses the definite article more often than English: with my, your, his etc; when specifying food - I like the chocolate, He drinks the coffee etc.

Indefinite Article


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A3881289

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more