Slocan Valley, BC, Canada

0 Conversations

In the heart of the West Kootenay region of Southeastern British Columbia lies the beautiful Slocan Valley. Located roughly halfway
(East-West) between Calgary, Alberta and Vancouver, BC on the Pacific coast; and running North-South from Highway 1 (the Trans-Canada) at Revelstoke to Highway 3 (the Crow's Nest Route) between Nelson and Castlegar.

For convenience let's use as a starting point the town of Revelstoke on the Trans-Canada Highway. From there you head South toward Nakusp, taking a short (free) ferry ride across Upper Arrow Lake. From Nakusp to Playmor Junction at the Southern end is ~130 km of scenery and History.
Small towns along the way such as Silverton and New Denver were begun in a 19th Century Silver boom, when prospectors combed the Mountain sides. In fact, deposits of placer gold, lead, and silver were all found. Abandoned mine shafts can still be seen along the hillsides.
The trip takes you alongside Slocan Lake, with the Valhalla mountains to the west. A pull-out viewpoint near Enterprise Creek offers a scenic vista.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A387353

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more