Gardening diary. Part 2. March to April .

0 Conversations

March 31st.
Today was an exciting day. <biggrin> Last year a wild Spotted orchid appeared in my garden. For weeks i've been looking in the spot where it was, to see if it would come back again. Today i noticed 2 shoots about 2 inch high. Yippeeeee!! Its come back.
I planted the Daphne that i've had for several weeks now. Hopefully it will flourish in its new home. I also planted the 2 helebores i bought recently, next to the acer, an ideal spot.
The pennisetum seedlings are ready for transplanting. I was'nt sure if they would come back true, a dark burgundy colour as they mature, but i can pick out the true ones as they have a purple tinge to the stems. Another result
<eureka>
-------------------------------------------
Sunday 2nd April 2005
I got round to trimming the edges of the flowers borders at last and yesterday mowed the grass. I'll pay for this tomorrow, i won't be able to move without being in pain.
Even more plants are flowering <biggrin> Ribes, Forsythia, Skimmias are all in full bloom. A very nice daffodil (Professor Einstien) i planted last autumn is also in bloom, its very striking in colour.
I have cowslips all over the grass, they are now in flower. Its difficult to mow round them as they just pop up all over the place.
I've transplanted some of the pennisetum seedlings, not all of them though there were too many.
One more Echium has germinated. I was surprised, i did'nt expect anym more. It will be a long way
behind the other 2 which are very big now. :)
----------------------------------------------
17th April 2005
Well i done the one thing i wanted to do this year. I've put in a pond for wildlife. Its not a large pond, but more than adequate for frogs and newts. Theres not water in it yet, i ran out of energy. <puff> Hopefully in the week i can fill it and leave it to setlle, before adding marginal and oxygentaing plants. I now have another mound to deal with <yikes> Some of it will be put round the pond for planting grasses and flowers. The rest? well i don't know what i'm going to do with that yet <erm>
-----------------------------------------------
April 23rd

The pond is now filled and i added some pond plants yesterday. Its starting to look like a proper pond now. All i need to complete it is for the wildlife to find it. <biggrin> I've planted some baby grasses round the edge, i have some larger specimens waiting to be brought home from work.I also planted a couple of alpine plants inbetween the slate stones. As they grow larger, it will give a more natural appearence.
I'm so pleased with the result, its such a huge achievement for me to have done this, with no help.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A3851796

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more