uk beaches

1 Conversation


One of the best beaches in britain most be weymouth in dorset were king george the 3 became the first reigning monarch to take up bathing in the sea and started a georgian craze as the wealthy followed in the kings footsteps a statue of george the 3rd stands on the esplanade.
The local council clean the beach every day so it as won the blue flag award for being one of the cleanest beaches in europe many times.
On the beach itself there is a small fenced of area were in 1963 fred darrington started to do strange things in the sand fred was a sand artist.Is models at the olympia travel exhibition prompted weymouth council to offer him a site on the beach were he would work making sand models for over 30 years.
Is grandson mark is now looking after the family buisness is work is up to date as it needs to be replaced every few weeks as the sand drys out and the models fall to bits of sand again he starts again.
In just a few hours a small model of a apple half eaten on a plate will be on display hand painted many people think it real but he does not stop there anything from ena sharples to tutankhamen from alice in wonderland to the last supper even the thunderbirds when he painted is model with a sign saying "international rescue unavailable calling greenpeace no strings attached".
They only make money from selling photos of there work and a short book about fred's life as told to syd metcalf there is also a bucket to chuck coins into.
You may have seen his work on blue peter or on other shows he as been on T.V over twenty times and had a few magazines articles but by far the best way to see is work is on the beach at weymouth.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A381016

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more