Hobo code

0 Conversations

Hobo code
Hobo code at a Canal Street Ferry entrance in New Orleans, Louisiana.
To cope with the difficulty of hobo life, hoboes developed a system of symbols, or a code. Hoboes would write this code with chalk or coal to provide directions, information, and warnings to other hoboes. Some signs included "turn right here", "beware of hostile railroad police", "dangerous dog", "food available here", and so on. For instance:
A cross signifies "angel food," that is, food served to the hoboes after a party.
A triangle with hands signifies that the homeowner has a gun.
Sharp teeth signify a mean dog.
A square missing its top line signifies it is safe to camp in that location.
A top hat and a triangle signify wealth.
A spearhead signifies a warning to defend oneself.
A circle with two parallel arrows means to get out fast, as hoboes are not welcome in the area.
Two interlocked humans signify handcuffs. (i.e. hoboes are hauled off to jail).
A Caduceus symbol signifies the house has a medical doctor living in it.
A cat signifies that a kind lady lives here.
A wavy line (signifying water) above an X means fresh water and a campsite.
Three diagonal lines means it's not a safe place.
A square with a slanted roof (signifying a house) with an X through it means that the house has already been "burned" or "tricked" by another hobo and is not a trusting house.
Two shovels, signifying work was available (Shovels, because most hoboes did manual labor).
Naturally, hobo code would vary from place to place around the country.
Another version of the Hobo Code exists as a display in the Steamtown Railroad Museum at Scranton, Pennsylvania, operated by the National Park service.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A37699618

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more