Croydon, England

1 Conversation

Twinned with a nightmare vision of the future, Croydon is either the southernmost edge of London or the point where Surrey begins to become the capital. Depending on where you're coming from, which - although obvious - deeply affects the town you will see.

The Inner Londoner, travelling south, will view it as a place to work, to walk quickly through in order to queue in sandwich bars (i.e. an expensive cafe with no seats) and to leave again via the wind tunnel that is East Croydon station. It is functional, not to be taken seriously. Not even the local football team, Crystal Palace, can garner any kind of emotion (hatred or otherwise) from rival fans across the metropolis.

To those heading in from Surrey and Kent, however, it is Gotham City without Batman. A neon lit and tantalising departure from the introversion of their own villages and hamlets. And easier to get home from than Leicester Square. There are pubs with bouncers, a club with table dancers, a venue called 'The Buddha Lounge' where karma can be bought at £2.50 a bottle. It is a destination rather than a daily pit-stop.

The town itself is pitching for city status, in a desperate bid to validate its post-sixties skyline (i.e. some tall buildings stuck at random amongst smaller ones). To boost this, a newly opened tram system bears down on unsuspecting pedestrians with an eerie silence.
London Underground want to extend the tube here. Buses patrol the streets in battallions (perhaps the biggest novelty of all). All of which, you'll notice, are measures to take people in and out.

And therein lies the point.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A376427

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more