A Conversation for Slayerville

Lost

Post 21

Kat

As a coda Alison Hannigan looks fab - and other photos on Buffy.nu show Alexis Denisof also looking good. Where has the guy been recently - it seems a shame that a talented and not bad looking actor appears to have disapeared.


Lost

Post 22

oldramon


An episode of 'House' called 'Three Stories' won the best writing for a drama award (the category that David Fury was nominated in). 'House' is big news in America at the moment. I have tried watching it but I didn't take to it at all. I find Hugh Laurie's performance really hard to watch, but he seems to be getting rave reviews in the American media.

I noticed that Patricia Arquette won the best actress award (drama) for 'Medium'. I've watched the first two episodes and came away mystified why it has been getting such good reviews, although I do like Arquette and I think she is fine in the role. I intend to stick with it a while longer to see how it develops (just like I am doing with 'Lost' - although my patience is really wearing thin now). It seems to me that there is very little good TV around at the moment. Maybe it's just me being a grumpy old sod.

Has anyone here seen 'Veronica Mars'. I'm very interested to know if it's as good as the reviews suggest. I've been tempted to order the DVD of the first season from America on spec (just to find out).


Lost

Post 23

Staker Boi

Not sure whether anyone else did here, but I happened to watch quite a bit of the Emmys last night on a cable channel, and was caught out by the fact that some clips of Lost were shown both prior and after its win in the Best Drama category. I guess I should have expected it really, but I'm pretty sure that one of the clips that was shown just *had* to be from the last episode of Season 1, so I kinda wish I hadn't seen it now! God, I hate spoilers.......

You know, just watching the glitzy ceremony last night, I can more or less see why the Emmy nominators never picked (apart from Hush) any Buffy actors/episodes for these awards. There's just too much schmaltz and pomp going on for Buffy to have been 'accepted' in such an environment. They seem to generally pander for the popular/well-known shows and actors rather than those that are relatively unheard of. Of course, sometimes creativity and popularity sometimes combine (as in The West Wing, for example - I've just started watching this show from series 1 and already fallen in love with it) but I can just imagine what sort of a reaction there would have been had James Marsters won Best Actor for Season 7. Sporadic applause and confused 'Who he?' finger-pointing, no doubt, which is probably just what the orgainsers don't want.


Lost

Post 24

Staker Boi

OK, so did anyone here see this week's episode? Wasn't the resurrection of Charlie just about the most unbelievable thing you ever did see? I just wish I knew exactly how I'm supposed to watch this show ie. do I stomach all of these implausible events in the hope that one day something will happen that makes me go "Ah, right, so it was one big dream sequence" (for example) at the end of it all? I'm trying my best to continue watching this TV show as a means of escapism with the customary pinches of salt, but my patience is wearing pretty thin.

I'm still gonna watch it till the end, though.......... smiley - winkeye


Lost

Post 25

Carlyle Ferris

As a medical man myself I was horrified by the assault on the dead Charlie. I was very glad to see that they removed that appalling scene from the repeat on Sunday. [I watched specifically to check} Any suggestion that you can revive someone from heart failure with repeated use of the pre-cordial thump undoes years of my teaching. God save us from badly researched television! Lets try effective CPR next time please.


Lost

Post 26

oldramon


Staker Boi, I'm with you on this one. My patience ran out some time ago. However, I find myself continuing to watch the show. I'm not sure why. It's just strangely compulsive viewing even though I really can't think of anything good to say about it. Weird!


Lost

Post 27

Otus Nycteus

That's a shame, but I can relate; I had the same thing with the X-files. (Talk about badly researched. You could shoot holes the size of Barcelona in the 'explanations' of that show.) Not with Lost, though. (Loss of interest, that is. We haven't had enough explanations yet to shoot any holes in...) I really rather like it. I don't know where you all are, episode wise, but here in Holland they showed the Hurley episode last Friday ('Numbers', ep 1.18). If you haven't seen it yet, I'd urge you to wait for it, because it's by far the funniest ep so far.



MINUTE SPOILER

And it is becoming clear that there are more connections between the characters in their lives-before-the-crash than you might expect with a random group of people. Yet another mystery, or not?




Okay, you can watch again (both the show and this post). smiley - smiley


Lost

Post 28

oldramon


I will be sticking with 'Lost' until at least the end of the first season and I am looking forward to the Hurley episode.

Episode 12 ('Whatever The Case May Be') was shown on C4 this evening. I thought it was very poor, but I do struggle with Jack and Kate, which I admit is a drawback when they are the principal characters in the show.

Still, I'm also watching 'Medium' and that really is a completely preposterous show! I can't help myself.


Lost

Post 29

Kat

I don't really like Jack I must admit - I don't like self-righteous, sanctimous characters and his big hero complex is annoying. I quite like Kate though. This episode is frustrating though because you want to know what's happened to Claire and it's not interesting enough to distract you from it.


Lost

Post 30

Carlyle Ferris

So what about the metal thing that Locke was banging on. Have we just forgotten all about it?


Lost

Post 31

Otus Nycteus

Patience, Doc, patience! smiley - winkeye


Lost

Post 32

Carlyle Ferris

I have been patient and still no mention of the metal thing. Freckles continues to give us the doe eyed look, the japs are still arguing, we are witnessing the longest human pregnancy since the creation, supplies of makeup are still available and no one has yet realised that Honolulu is just the other side of the hill.
Kill me now, I can't take much more.


Lost

Post 33

oldramon


Doc Ferris, you might want to wait until next week's episode. It will reveal another tiny snippet of information about the "metal box"...

(Night Owl, it's the Hurley episode, which I know you've already seen and mentioned as one worth waiting for. I was able to watch it this week and agree with you. I must admit that while I find 'Lost' as annoying as ever, I am now completely hooked! It's so addictive.)

Larry


Lost

Post 34

Carlyle Ferris

I feel like a parrot pulling its feathers out. I know it is wrong but I am too fed up to care. I continue to watch Lost on Wednesday night because there is no alternative on Terrestrial TV. They have taken away 6 feet under, no Smallville with the delicious Kristen Kreuk, No Trecks, no Enterprise, Point Pleasant, They never even bothered to get Veronica Mars. No more X-files. What is a poor parrot to do!


Lost

Post 35

Staker Boi

I sometimes share your frustration about Lost, Dr Ferris, but if there's one thing you can say about it it's that you can never guess what's going to happen next. Well, you can, and you'll usually guess at something logical, but then it gets taken over by the implausible.....

I happen to think some of the acting is pretty good, however, with both the guy who plays Michael and the Korean actors (inc. Gavin Park, as Angel fans will know!) particularly impressing me in the episodes that focussed on their characters.

I do love reading the TWOP reviews, though, and I daresay Dr Ferris and Larry might chuckle along to some of their accounts, too.

Roll on the Hurley episode!


Lost

Post 36

Carlyle Ferris

So that was the Hurley episode huh?...........and............


Lost

Post 37

oldramon


Not impressed, Dr Ferris?

I must admit I am now finding myself increasingly sucked into the show. I watched the Hurley episode again this week and probably enjoyed it even more than the first time. I can't actually explain what has brought about this change of heart. Maybe it's just a passing phase!


Key: Complain about this post