A Conversation for Slayerville

The Grudge

Post 1

Staker Boi

Has anyone managed to see The Grudge yet, by any chance? I'm sure you know it stars both Sarah Michelle Gellar, Jason Behr (Lie To Me - hi Bud!) and Clea Duvall of Buffy fame. I watched the DVD version a couple of weekends ago and I thought it was reasonably good. There were one or two images that I thought were genuinely scary, but then again I'm scared easily. The characters themselves weren't very three-dimensional, and you didn't really get chance to get to know some of them properly, but SMG did a good job of playing someone completely different to the Buffster. I think perhaps my overall opinion was enhanced by the fact that I hadn't seen any of the previous Ju-On movies, so I started from scratch, if you like.

The scariest bits for me weren't necessarily the all-out horror imagery, but more the suggestive pieces, and there's one ten-minute scene involving Bill Pullman's on-screen sister that I thought was superb. Tension all the way, believe me!

There is actually a very good commentary (involving SMG, no less) on the DVD that is well worth hearing. Sarah talks a lot, and has some very interesting stories about Japan to tell. I got the impression the cast bonded really well while they were in Japan, and they sound very friendly on the commentary piece. This is going to sound really pathetic, but while I was listening to it, I had to keep pressing the text button on the remote every time I knew a particular scene was coming up, just so I wouldn't see some of those images again....... Ahem.


The Grudge

Post 2

semper_paratus

I thought the film was a good role for Sarah, even though it seemed as though she was going back to her scream queen roots, many of the scenes did genuinely scare me, and I don't scare easily. Even though you saw many of the moments coming, it was still a fright when they eventually came. One of the most frightening for me was the scene in the bed, a haven for many of us when watching a scary movie, I thought it was cleverly done, as the director mut have known that many viewers at home would be under their duvets at the time.

The best scene for sarah was near the end when she was near the door trying to get out and her on-screen boyfriend was being attacked by the Grudge. Seeing Sarah siting there completely helpless was such a non Buffy thing to do.

Great film..

smiley - biggrin Xander


The Grudge

Post 3

Staker Boi

I'm glad you admitted you got scared in parts too, Xander! I know it's only make-up but still....... I don't really want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet and is planning to do so but, yes, the bed scene comes during that chunk I mentioned and is definitely a clever piece of directing by Shimizu.

I kind of hope Sarah doesn't do any more horror roles for a while and does something a bit different, as she's in danger of getting typecast, oddly enough.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more