Nonconformity, nonconformists

0 Conversations

A type of behavior exhibited by self-styled "nonconformists." Presumably a behavior which does not emulate the behavior of any other individual, unlike "conformists," who are believed to act all alike.

Nonconformists can often be seen in groups, and usually spend their time commiserating with each other about their nonconformist ways. For some reason, nonconformists all seem to dress alike. The type of clothing varies over the years, but the idea that one can be a nonconformist by dressing like a nonconformist seems come back time and time again. Nonconformists are frequently people in their late teens or early to mid twenties.

The popularity of nonconformity rises and falls like a sinusoidal wave. In the late 1960s and 1970s, nonconformists (at that time, also known as "hippies") could easily be spotted as the ones wearing headbands, tie-dyed shirts, ripped blue jeans, and flowers in their hair. Most of those nonconformists were also using drugs and protesting the Vietnam Conflict.

This tide of nonconformity seemed to go away during the late 70's and for most of the 80's, during which time disco, materialism, and "glam rock" took center stage. However, at the end of the 80's, and the beginning of the 90's, nonconformity returned in the form of the "alternative rock" movement.

These nonconformists advocated the same theme of comfortable clothes (blue jeans and flannel shirts this time), eschewing materialism, using drugs, and tweaking the noses of those in authority. For some reason, the nonconformist movement seemed to center around several musicians from Seattle, Washington, USA. This time, the nonconformist movement collapsed in the late 90's due to several reasons, including its own popularity, the death of its founder, Kurt Cobain, a backlash of conformity, and the lack of a war to protest.

All of these factors have contributed to form the current atmosphere of conformity, where otherwise normal people will spend absurd amounts of money to buy clothes which have certain brand names on them, such as "Tommy Hilfiger," "Abercrombie and Fitch," and "DKNY."

Often nonconformist movements can be correlated to downswings in economic activity. One can speculate that the next "nonconformist" movement will occur when the current crop of conformists run out of money to buy ridiculously expensive clothes, cars, and coffee, and begin wearing cast-off, hand-me-down clothes and listening to "rebellious" music.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A373268

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more