A Conversation for H2G2 unix users (H2G2U2)

Is there anybody out there?

Post 1

ZenMondo

Is this an aborted idea, or are we the only Unix advocates on all of h2g2 (which runs on NT/IIS BTW)?


Is there anybody out there?

Post 2

Phil

There are people out there, it's just that I've only started to advertise this page. I'll go over and tell Peta that it should be featured on the front page.


Is there anybody out there?

Post 3

Munchkin

I actually got to go on my recent junket on the understanding that I could use UNIX. I can't smiley - bigeyes So, tell me, where does it score over other sytems? Which version is the best? Should I go for this fiddly Linux thing? What can I get that runs on UNIX? Just give us the whole sales pitch. smiley - smiley


Is there anybody out there?

Post 4

Phil

In answer to your questions, Munchkin it depends. It depends on what you're comparing it against. Which version can start whole religious wars. What can run on unix, most stuff, from high end databases, CAD software, desktop suites (star office, corel wordperfect office for linux), graphics software, through to minimal text based email packages.

It really depends on what you want to do with it. I've seen Suns used in several engineering situations for CAD, DEC (oh ok then Compaq) stuff used for number crunching, intel (x86) running freebsd and linux to run an isp on the cheap.

As for should you try Linux. If you've got a machine that you don't mind trying it on then why not smiley - smiley


Is there anybody out there?

Post 5

Marvin, the Maniacally Depressed Robot

I'm here, don't forget about me! smiley - winkeye


Is there anybody out there?

Post 6

AEndr, The Mad Hatter

I'm here too, though I am really only a UNIX user, I haven't got into the nitty gritty yet
but - I really do use UNIX - can't not - after all, I am running one of the biggest models in existence and it would fall down under Windoze


Is there anybody out there?

Post 7

Administrator-General (5+0+9)*3+0

Okay, you got me. I'm a Unix administrator of sorts for Hewlett-Packard machines, and I just saw this club featured on the front page.

As for which version of Unix to use: I've never been in a position to decide. HP machines use HP-Unix, just like Sun machines use Sun Unix, PCs use Linux, and so on. Each of these has different versions, but the decision of which version to use is usually made by a faraway Information Technology department, using rules that rival the Book of Leviticus in complexity.


Is there anybody out there?

Post 8

Marvin, the Maniacally Depressed Robot

We made the front page?! smiley - smiley


Is there anybody out there?

Post 9

Crescent

Hello. Just popping by to say hello. I used to be the 'unix guy' on a small IT helpdesk (it was mainly SCO and AIX), tho the only training I have had was what I learnt messing around with Linux, and what I picked up, in a damn steep learning curve, on the helpdesk (lots of reading of manuals) - it was lots of fun, but not enough money smiley - smiley. Once I get my home PC up and running, no doubt I will be here for help (recompilation of the kernal has always eluded me smiley - sadface so I may see if I can beg for help here smiley - smiley Well, until later....
BCNU - Crescent


Is there anybody out there?

Post 10

Phil

Hello all. I'm hoping to make this the place to ask questions on any topic unix related. Any ideas about what you want to see on the page? Links to anywhere, whatever.


Is there anybody out there?

Post 11

Marvin, the Maniacally Depressed Robot

Phil,

Anything Unix! smiley - winkeye


Is there anybody out there?

Post 12

Phil

Good good, anything specificaly? (I could write you an article on the trials of upgrading FreeBSD 3.0 to FreeBSD 4.0 which is what I've spent the last two days doing and it still isn't finished smiley - winkeye)


Is there anybody out there?

Post 13

ZenMondo

Well I guess I just showed up early! smiley - smiley

My flavor of choice is FreeBSD. Though I think the BSD folks want to refer to the whole BSD family as 'BSD' so it does not look like they have the distribution wars like Linux. Ah well. FreeBSD kicks ass (speaking from a viewpoint of a server for e-mail / web pages / that kind of shtuff needing speed + stability).

I have admined all kinds of flavors, and FreeBSD is by far my fave. The worst flavor I ever worked with was Novell's UnixWare. If its still out there, avoid it like the plague. No, avoid it like a plauge-infested-rabid-leper! I ran Sun/OS as it was transitioning to Solaris. That convinced me I prefer the Berkeley flavors over the System V derivatives.

The first *nix I ever used was a PC-based product called Coherant. Anyone remember that? It was back in the day when AT&T was jealous of the Unix trademark and you couldn't call your unix unix.


Ok one last thing, MY FAVORITE PIECE OF IRONIC UNIX TRIVIA:

Unix, the worlds largest and most successful multi-user opsys was originaly designed to be a single-user version of MULTICS. smiley - smiley


Is there anybody out there?

Post 14

Leo

Hello!
I'm here as well, supporting the World Domination of All Computers by Linux smiley - winkeye
I am lurking.
Please do not read this.


Is there anybody out there?

Post 15

Smiley Ben

/me sticks up his hand:

Redhat 6.1...

that is all


Is there anybody out there?

Post 16

Administrator-General (5+0+9)*3+0

Hey, cool. I can post to *this* topic from work, and *deserve* to get paid for it!

I think I'll go start a "Question of the Day" thread now...


Is there anybody out there?

Post 17

Administrator-General (5+0+9)*3+0

Hey, cool. I can post to *this* topic from work, and *deserve* to get paid for it!

I think I'll go start a "Question of the Day" thread now...


Is there anybody out there?

Post 18

Administrator-General (5+0+9)*3+0

Hey, cool. I can post to *this* topic from work, and *deserve* to get paid for it!

I think I'll go start a "Question of the Day" thread now...


Is there anybody out there?

Post 19

Administrator-General (5+0+9)*3+0

Kindly ignore and pardon the previous two messages, and delete if possible. When the trans-Atlantic cable goes down, apparently it comes back with a vengeance.


Is there anybody out there?

Post 20

Will Jenkins (Dead)

I think we should start a Linux club on H2G2 so that anyone who runs Linux puts a badge on thier page.


Key: Complain about this post