Vienna/The Third Man

0 Conversations

Anybody who is visiting Vienna and knows this terrific movie with Orson Welles (and directed by Carol Reed) should plan in an extra half-day to visit some of the original places where scenes were taken. It's really interesting to see the familiar surroundings in real life,
and also a terrific opportunity to explore Vienna's development from the bombed-out hell-hole that it was when the movie was made to the wonderfully (and expensively) restored city it is today. The trouble is that even though located close together, the locations aren't easy to find. However, there are several tours on offer, and they even take you down to the subterranean canals underneath the city!
Just don't believe everything you are told - the story about the perfume is a myth (you'll see). Nevertheless, a lot of interesting information is provided, and you get to go places you couldn't by yourself. To get on a tour (there are several competitors), just go to the tourist information center close to St.Stephen's Cathedral. However, you should plan ahead a few days since the tours seem to be booked out early on; also, they don't come cheap!
To me, the most intriguing location is the one where the famous door-scene (Welles stepping out of the shadows of the entrance when he is discovered by Cotton) was shot. The original buildings are still there, left untouched. It's one of those places in Vienna you wouldn't expect to find before turning around the corner.
Also, if you're interested to see the movie in its English language version, there's a theatre on the Burgring (the "Burgkino") which
owns a copy (extremely rare!) and the movie is played there almost every weekend and sometimes during the week.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A367913

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more