A horseracing system

0 Conversations

I devised this horseracing system in the early 1990s. I researched three seasons and the system was profitable for those seasons.

The reasoning

A bookmaker's percentage is very poor in races with only two or three runners. In a race such as the Grand National, although the odds look very good (with a favourite of about 8 to 1) the bookmaker's percentage is very very good. So, the focus of the system is on steeplechase races with only two or three runners.

It's a fact that, in steeplechase races with two or three runners with HARD going, fifty percent of favourites are beaten. With these favourites often at odds-on prices (8 to 15, for example) the punter only has to back the second favourite to win IN THE LONG RUN.

(Note: I didn't do any research for hurdle races.)

Summary

1) Wait for a steeplechase race meeting with HARD going.

2) Pick out any steeplechase race with only two or three runners.

3) Back the second favourite to win.

The challenge

I doubt very much if the system is applicable in the modern racing world. For starters, the track watering system has improved considerably and hard going - to my knowledge - is something of a rarity. Also the entry requirements have changed and horses can be entered into races at shorter notice, thus making fields larger.

Would somebody have access to all the results of races that match the system requirements from 1990? It would be interesting to see if it would have gone on making a profit past those three seasons I tested. I'd also like to know if the system worked/works with hurdle races. If the system is still applicable on very rare occasions then maybe somebody could make some money.

A horse race

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A3663849

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more