Myths of the planets of the Solar System

2 Conversations

This entry is about the myths of the Solar System. You could believe them, you might not beause they have nether been proved. So here is the myths of the Solar System.

Myths of the Sun

Many ancient cultures worshipped the sun. They believed it to be a god who gave Earth the gifts of light and heat, and life itself. Many rulers used this belief to increase their power.
The Aztecs sacrificed people to the Sun god. They believed that sacrificing people will keep the sun going strong. In
Japan they thought that the emperors were decendents of the sun goddess.

Murcury

In Roman mythology, Mercury was the messenger of the gods. He wore winged sandals, which helped him move swiftly from place to place. From their observations of the planet Mercury, the Romans realized that it changed its position very often, so they named it for their fleet-footed god.

Venus

Except for the sun and the moon, Venus is the brightest object in the sky. For this reason, the planet fascinated many ancient peoples.

The Maya, who lived long ago in Mexico and Central America, based one of their calendars on Venus's movements. This calendar had 584 days instead of 365 days (the time that Earth takes to complete one orbit around the sun).

Earth


The story of creation in the Old Testament may be found in the book's first chapter, Genesis. It tells of a divine creation of the universe over a six-day period. On the first day, the heaven and Earth were created, and light and darkness were formed. The second day saw the separation between the sky and the seas. The land and plants were created on the third day, and on the fourth, the sun, moon, and stars. Fowl, fish, and all things that live in water were formed on the fifth day. On the sixth day all other living things were created, as well as the first person. After completing this work, God rested on the seventh day.

Mars


The planet's red color reminded ancient peoples of blood and war. That is why the planet was named Mars after the Roman god of war.

Jupiter


Jupiter was well known to our ancestors.
Even though ancient astronomers didn't know about the planet's size or severe lightning storms, they gave it a fitting name. To the ancient Romans, Jupiter was the mythological king of the gods, who held a scepter of lightning in his hand.

Saturn


Greek mythology tells a tale about Cronus (Saturn, in Roman mythology), who was one of the Titans - sons of Uranus and his wife Gaea. Out of fear of his sons, Uranus imprisoned them in a deep, dark place. Despite Gaea's pleadings, Uranus refused to release his sons.

One day Gaea managed to release her son Saturn. Saturn hated his father, Uranus, and at the first opportunity, fought and injured him. Uranus cursed his son, saying the day would come when Saturn's own children would remove him from his throne.

Uranus


In Greek mythology, Gaea was the goddess of Earth and water. She created the heavens, which she called Uranus.

Uranus and Gaea ruled together, giving birth to 12 Titans, giants who were exceptionally strong. Uranus was afraid that one day his children would overthrow him, so he had them imprisoned in a dark cave.

Gaea begged Uranus to release her children, but he would not listen. One son - Cronus, the god of agriculture (Saturn, in Roman mythology) - stood up to Uranus and fought him. Uranus was injured and, as he'd feared, was overthrown by Cronus. Cronus then freed the other Titans, his brothers.

Neptune



In Roman mythology, Neptune was the god of the sea. He was the son of the Titan Saturn, and his brothers were Jupiter, king of the gods, and Pluto, god of the underworld.

Saturn was a cruel father. He was afraid that his children would try to dethrone him and take his place, so he swallowed them whole. After Saturn had swallowed Neptune and Pluto, Jupiter managed to save them. The three brothers then divided up the kingdom. One ruled the heavens, one ruled the sea, and the third ruled the underworld.

Pluto


After the discovery of the new planet, astronomers asked the public to help find a name for it. The judges received thousands of letters.

They eventually accepted the name proposed by an 11-year-old girl from England. She suggested "Pluto," the name of the Greek and Roman god of the underworld, who was also known as Hades.

"Pluto" was especially fitting, as it matched the initials of Percival Lowell, the man who dedicated his entire life to the search for the ninth planet.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A3592875

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more