Common Nuts

0 Conversations


There are many, many different types of nuts to be found all over the world. Some are big, some are small, and some are a really random shape that makes you giggle. This article is designed to introduce you to the basics of some commonly eaten nuts, where they come from, and what you can do with them. A common misconception is that nuts are bad for you. People worry that the oily fat in nuts will harm them, however nuts actually contain unsaturated fat, which is good for you and helps to lower saturated fat, the one that is bad for you.


All nuts can contribute significant levels of iron, magnesium and zinc as part of a regular diet. Nuts are also reasonably high in protein.


All fresh nuts should be eaten soon after purchase. This is because stale nuts build up dangerous levels of toxins that may cause illness.

Almonds


The diciduous tree, Almond (Prunus dulcis) is part of the same family of trees as plums and cherries. Unlike plums and cherries though, the fruit of the almond tree has no flesh. Instead there is a leathery skin containing the edible part. It is still considered a drupe however. A drupe1 is a type of fruit in which the fleshy part that is usually eaten, contains a hard shell in which a seed is stored. The main producer of almonds is California. Almonds are California's seventh largest food export, although Spain also produces large amounts.


Almonds are very good for you, containing vitamins B2, E and nicotinic acid2. They are a good source for the minerals calcium, magnesium, potasium, phosphate, copper and manganese.


Almond oil is sometimes used as a substitute for olive oil, and sweet almonds contain practically no starch and so are commonly used in cakes and biscuits for diabetics, as well as vanilla extract. Sweet almonds are also used in marzipan and nougat, as well as many cakes and biscuits.


Roasted Spicy Almonds
are quick, simple to make and taste great.

Brazil Nuts


The Brazil nut tree (Bertholletia excelsa) originates in South America, and can grow to some 40 metres3. The fruit of the tree is the size of a coconut. It has a thick outer shell, inside which can be found around 15 triangular seeds. These are the nuts which people eat. They are roughly 5cm4 long and have hard shells which need some muscle to crack. This means that they are often left at the bottom of the Christmas nut selection.


Brazil nuts contain incrediably high amounts of magnesium and selenium. This antioxidant mineral has been suggested to help protect against heart disease, cancer and ageing. They are also very good sources of potasium, phosphate, zinc, copper, and manganese; and contain vitamins B1 and E.


Brazil nuts have a very high level of saturated fat in them, giving them a very rich taste. This means they are often used in cooking and can be used in place of macademia nuts in recipes. The oil from Brazil nuts is not only used in cooking but also is used for greasing in small mechanisms. Unfortunately, the high fat content means that Brazil nuts can quickly go rancid, particularly shelled ones.


A quick and delicious recipe for
Chocolate Brazil Nut Gateau

Cashews

Technically a seed, the cashew nut comes from the Cashew tree (Anacardium occidentale).

Hazelnuts

Hazelnuts come from the Common Hazel (Corylus Avellana), a bush native to Europe and Asia, but now found in many countries around the world. Commercially hazelnuts are grown in Europe, Turkey, and the states of Oregon and Washington in America. The hazelnut is the seed of this plant, roughly spherical and grown in an outer husk. Once the nut is ripe, it falls out of the husk and reveals itself to have a smooth brown shell and to be roughly 1-2cm5 in diameter. Once this shell is broken open the kernel can be eaten raw, roasted, in food, or as a paste. The skin, which is a dark brown, is usually removed as it has a bitter taste.


Hazelnuts are particularly good for you. They are a useful source of vitamins B1, B6, E, folate and nicotinic acid. They are also a good source of potasium, phosphate, copper, magnesium and manganese.


Hazelnuts are commonly used to make confectionary. Both praline and Nutella have hazelnuts in, as do some chocolate truffles. They can also be pressed and the resulting oil is sometimes used in cooking.


Why not try making
Hazelnut Cake
from the BBC.

Sweet Chestnuts

What Nuts To Talk About??


  • walnuts

  • Chestnuts

  • macademia nuts

  • cashew nuts

  • Peacan nuts

  • Pistachio nuts

  • peanuts. Yes im aware that they aren't nuts but they deserve a mention

  • Nuts nuts nuts more nuts ermmmm no that'll do. Too many nuts is bad for the mind.
1Commonly known as a 'stone fruit'2Also known as niacin3131 feet42 inches5Around 1.5inches

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A3584531

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more