Lake Garda - Italy

1 Conversation

Found in the north east of Italy in the triangle formed by Brescia, Verona and Trento, Lake Garda is undoubtedly a beautiful place.

Topography

Approached from the planes of the south Lake Garda is described as the last Mediterranean-like water before the Alps. Formed by glacial movements it is found between the steeply climbing slopes of the Dolomites. Roughly triangular in shape the narrow top section of the lake points NNE while, as you move further south, the lake becomes more shallow and broadens greatly.

The town of Garda (after which the lake takes its name) lies at the south eastern edge of the lake which is closest to Verona. The northern tip is where Riva del Garda is found. A very pretty town centred on an ancient port.

History

Politically the lake has had a chequered history. Limone sul Garda, a small town, a little below Riva on the western side of the lake, is said to be named either after the lemon groves which were found there in the past or on the Austrian term for border, as Limone once marked the edge of the Austrian held territory.

The Venetians burnt and sank a significant sized vessel in the lake to thwart attacks through the valley. In the 1950s divers undertook to investigate the wreck and several artifacts were recovered, which are to be seen in the museum at Malcesine on the Eastern coast of the lake, roughly opposite Limone. The museum is situated in the castle, which towers above the town and is built on the very edge of the lake.

It has to be remembered that the roads on which tourists approach the lake are comparatively recent and previously access to and around the lake was over the mountains or by boat. The roads, especially on the eastern side of the lake, date from the 1930s onwards.

Sporting activities

What a modern tourist soon notices is the number of cyclists there are on the roads. Generally wrapped in garishly coloured skin tight clothing with metallic painted helmets they whizz up and down the mountain roads and through the marvellous tunnels carved out of the mountain side. The locals have a healthy respect for these sporting types and are generous in their passing widths when overtaking - even in the tunnels, which can be disconcerting if you are travelling in the opposite direction in the confined tube.

Water sports abound on the lake which has several centres for hiring boats, wind surfers or other appropriate gear. Just a short distance away are the skiing resorts of the Dolomites, so many tastes can be catered for depending on the season.

Food

Local food has a leaning towards freshwater fish dishes which are provided by the lake itself. The lake is surrounded by pleasant hotels and eateries and several of the towns or villages have their own markets on set days of the week.

Ferries

Ferries operate from several points on the lake and provide a comparatively quick way of getting across. Hydrofoils travel very quickly and can be used for the longer lake journeys (bottom to top or vice versa). Mainly they are pedestrian only but there are a couple which can take vehicles.

Sirmione

Midway along the broad southern shore is Sirmione. It is situated on a narrow peninsula which juts northwards into the lake. There is a castle at the very tip of the peninsula which is a very popular and picturesque resort.

Gardone Riviera

If you have a taste for the unusual go to Gardone Riviera. Here you will find a peculiar little Botanical Garden which was created in the earlier part of the 20th Centry but which has more recently been bought by Signor Hruska, an artist, who has placed modern works of art in the gardens which pleasantly surprise the visitors. Nearby (5 minutes walk)is an Italian National treasure. A more formally laid out garden which was created by Gabriele d'Annunzio, a noted Italian poet and political thinker. Sticking straight out from the mountain side is the front end of a battle ship constructed to be a monument to people who had died in the service of their country. There is an amphitheatre, a mausoleum and other fascinating attractions in this place which sadly has Fascist connections and an ongoing attraction for Italinan nationalism

Bordolino

Famous for it's wine is worth a look

Desenzano

For public transport links this is the place to be if you want to travel to and from the lake by train to Verona.

Travel by car

If you have hired a car for your stay it is worth leaving the main roads, which do get you places much faster, and heading directly for the lake. The slower winding journey is rewarded with breathtaking views of the lake, castles, mountains and pretty villages. You can also stop wherever you wish to take a cappuccino and ice cream and indulge yourself.

One tip for the British motorist - don't be too alarmed if a driver behind gets so close you can count his nostril hairs. This is not meant to intimidate you but to reduce the actual distance he will have to be in the onconming lane when he overtakes. Generally motorists leave ample room between vehicles - perhaps even more than would be normal in the UK, so that overtaking vehicles can pop back into lane at a moment's notice if a vehicle suddenly appears in the oncoming lane.

This makes sense as it may be you overtaking and suddenly have the need to get back into lane. You don't want to be confronted by an irate UK driver, not allowing you back into lane because you would be crowding his space, as a juggernaut is hurtling towards you in the middle of a tunnel.

Fuel

Petrol stations in this part of Italy have a common theme of not being staffed. Italians carry 5 and 10 euro notes on them which can be fed directly into cash machines at petrol stations. Once the machine has accepted the note you can choose your pump number and start to fill your car. Once the machine has issued 5 or 10 euros worth of petrol it turns iteself off.

Language

If you are English speaking you will find that you come at least third in the pecking order. Italian and German vie for top spot with huge numbers of German tourists enjoying lakeside holidays. In many places signs and information are in Italian and German and there is no English equivalent. Many of the local people know enough English to allow you to buy their goods but conversations outside of how many coffees or what toppings on the pizza should best be carried out in Italian.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A3433402

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more