A Conversation for Labrador, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada

A337538 : Labrador, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada

Post 1

Administrator-General (5+0+9)*3+0

Here's a link for convenience: http://www.h2g2.com/A337538

I rushed this article into production when I saw the "Newfoundland" article get accepted. Newfoundland without Labrador is like... um, bread without crust? Fishermen without bait?

Anyway, the bait was too small the first time I went fishing with it. The article got sent back, recommending a bit more detail about towns. I've added that, plus three other linked articles, lots of hyperlinks, and a good deal more about industry, tourism, and life in general.

I especially hope I was fair to all the people, "native" or otherwise, who live there (I being just a visitor).


The Name of "Labrador"

Post 2

Administrator-General (5+0+9)*3+0

This is probably a good place to ask: Where did the name "Labrador" come from?

* I'm quite sure the territory isn't named after a type of dog; in fact, I'm pretty sure the dogs are named after the territory. The existence of a "Newfoundland Dog" can be taken as evidence.

* I'm pretty sure there's no other "Labrador" anywhere in the world. I just checked the index of The Great Geographical Atlas.

* The name "Labrador" sounds suspiciously like the Italian or French "La Bra d'Or", or "The Arm of Gold". And Labrador *was* claimed for England by one John Cabot, born Giovanni Caboto. But if this is true, what was Mr. Cabot thinking?


The Golden Arm??

Post 3

Lentilla (Keeper of Non-Sequiturs)

Isn't that a James Bond movie?

I like the article; wish there was more local color - where do I go to get a beer? Very important information.

Only saw one nit: "The icefree" ?? Maybe "they're ice-free"

- Lentilla


The Golden Arm??

Post 4

Crescent

I think this is a good overview of a large province smiley - smiley Maybe a section all to itself on weather, so the hitchhiker will not be unprepared, but other than this, I liked it smiley - smiley I would have thought this should be able to get into the Edited part of The Guide with little bother smiley - smiley Keep up the good work smiley - smiley Well, until later.....
BCNU - Crescent


A337538 : Labrador, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada

Post 5

Jimi X

You have probably discovered that there is no need to submit an entry to the Peer Review when it was part of the old queue via the 'submit' button. I got this one to Subedit and found it to be a pure delight. Well done! smiley - smiley

- X


The Golden Arm??

Post 6

Administrator-General (5+0+9)*3+0

To get a beer in Labrador, you go to a restaurant or bar. The only local color I can offer is, you can't always find a good bar in Labrador, especially in the Indian towns, where they frown upon such things. Labrador City, on the other hand, has several bars open practically all day.


The Golden Arm??

Post 7

Administrator-General (5+0+9)*3+0

Labrador has two seasons: summer and winter. Summer in Labrador is much like summer anywhere else in North America, with temperatures as high as 30 degrees Celsius at times. Winter in Labrador is much like winter anywhere else in North America, except it lasts nine months.


A337538 : Labrador, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada

Post 8

Administrator-General (5+0+9)*3+0

Thanks for the good review. The Peer Review concept still isn't useless, though; I finally got a couple of good comments, and made responses which might be worth plowing into the article. I'd do it myself, but I'm not an Editor. B{D>


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Labrador, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more