Ribwort Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Ribwort

1 Conversation

Ribwart

Pollen found preserved in the ground has shown that the ribwort plant has been growing in Britain for over 5,000 years. Because ribwort grows in alkaline soils in wide-open fields, past deforestation would provide ample opportunity for the plant to grow. Today, it is one of the most widespread plants in Britain and Europe.

The leaves of the hair-covered ribwort are thin and oval shaped with five raised veins going up the leaf. The stem can be from 15 - 40cm tall, usually towards the higher end of the range. The stem is also coated in tiny hairs.

The head of the plant is most recognisable. It is dense, cone-shaped and dark green in colour. The bottom half is covered in what will become ribwort flowers from April to August.

The flowers are made up of four tiny brown petals, which come out flat at right angles. The four stamen and sepals are white/light yellow, and in the middle of these is a short brown point. The fact that there are four petals, stamens and sepals is odd, as this does not comply with the Fibonnaci sequence1, and much of nature does comply with the sequence. To remind you, the sequence starts 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13... why do you think you hardly ever see a four-leafed clover?

The leaves and flowers grow from the bottom of the plant, saving a young plant from being eaten by cows or mowed by a gardener. Like a cockroach, even if the top is gone, the ribwort can still continue to grow.

Kids sometimes play with ribworts, if they are so bored they have nothing better to do. If you hold the end of the stem and try to take off the head of your friend's ribwort by hitting it, you can waste a few decent minutes. Alternatively, you can loop the end around the back of the head, and pull sharply on the stem. This is meant to fire the head as a projectile, but the manoeuvre rarely works.

1This is a series of numbers when each number is the total of the previous two numbers.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Edited Entry

A331066

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Edited by

h2g2 Editors

References

h2g2 Entries

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more