Gnomon - 'The Creation', an oratorio by Josef Haydn

1 Conversation

Josef Haydn (1732 - 1809) was an Austrian composer of great repute. Over the 50 years in which he worked, he set the standard for classical symphony and chamber music - he himself contributed 104 symphonies, more than any other composer. In his visits to London he heard performances of oratorios – large choral works on a Biblical theme - by GF Handel and was very impressed. In the last few years of his career, Haydn wrote two oratorios, The Creation and The Seasons, taking his time over each of them because he "wanted them to last". The Creation is arguably one of his finest works.

Haydn was given a long poem "The Creation of the World" on one of his visits to London. The author of this poem has never been traced. It was written in English and based on the Bible's Book of Genesis and Book of Psalms, and Milton's Paradise Lost. Haydn thought that this was a suitable subject for an oratorio, but it was far too long - it would have lasted about 4 hours. He gave the poem to his friend Gottfried von Swieten who extracted parts of it and translated them into German. Haydn set this German text to music. But he also wanted a version in English, because oratorios were so popular in England, so Swieten translated his own German text back into a form in English that would match the music. This wasn't always very successful, so various editors since then have come up with their own versions in English. The one we're using tonight is the New Novello edited by Michael Pilkington and matches Swieten's English text fairly closely. Even then, there are some odd phrases - for example, "The wonder of His works displays the firmament" should be "The firmament displays the wonder of His works".

Haydn's setting is a masterpiece of the "Classical" era - it uses the orchestra of the time in ways it had rarely been used, with some very odd harmonies in the opening section to depict the Chaos before the world was made. "Word painting" is used, where musical phrases illustrate the words the singers have just sung or are about to sing. Watch out for rain and snow, the buzzing of insects, the deep groaning sounds of the contrabassoon to represent great whales of the seas, and the sudden leaps of the "flexible tiger". Haydn's depiction of the first rising of the Sun (just after "Let there be lights in the firmament of heaven") is one of the greatest pieces of word painting ever.

The work is a collection of short movements, some by the orchestra alone, some by soloists, telling the story of the creation. These are interspersed with choruses praising God and marveling at the works He has created.

The early sections are narrated by three angels, Raphael, Uriel and Gabriel, sung by bass, tenor and soprano soloists. Towards the end, confusingly, the bass and soprano now represent Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. This ends with a caution from Uriel warning of things to come: "ye strive at more than granted is, and more would know than know ye should!" The work finishes with a full chorus including soloists: "The Lord is great, His praise shall last for aye".






Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A3244574

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more