H2G2 Beer Festival: In honour of all 42042 of us

1 Conversation

Once upon a time at a typewriter1 far, far, away; but not too far from a bath. Indeed the exact location was 'on the blueish, green third planet orbiting an insignificant yellow sun, in unfashionable Western spiral arm of the Galaxy'2.A bipedal ape descendent, who for now we will keep anonymous, finished a script for a radio show. He called it the Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy; this title he dreamt up while lying on his back in a field whilst on a hitch-hiking tour of Europe on a starry night. Little did he know then that 21 years later a few fields on a web page would be planted and h2g2 as we fondly know it was created. It appeared on the BBC's Tomorrow's World programme and an phenomenum was born. This came to be known as the first Great Crawl3.

Rumour also has it that back then Mark's beard was merely stubble, Peta was a mere researcher, and Abi was whoever she felt like being that particular day, or hour.

Well a little after this fledgeling sites first Birthday, and a few days before a celebratory Real Life meet up in London, the magic number of 420424 researchers were now registered with the Guide. So a Beer Festival was set up because nothing seems to draw together researchers quicker than a good pint or glass of Beer. It was also a beer festival in honour of all the German Researchers who helped accelerate5 the guide to this landmark.

1Personal Computers weren't very common in 19782As described by the anonymous author3As the server was struggling to cope4The Following message was sent in H2G2 Towers on Wed, May 10, 2000, 11:04 am

We have 42042 members as of sixty seconds ago ( and this was genuinely the number that the stats had last updated to).
5Or deccelerate if you are referring to download speed

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A319259

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more