Imaginative Play

1 Conversation

In my work as a brain electrician, a key element in our rewiring of neural networks is done through the use of imaginative play.

Young humans have no problem in 'pretending' and it is a crucial part of how they develop their understanding of the world. Although the value of imaginative play is generally undervalued in the education world, it is now recognised that it is key to children both internalising and making sense of their experiences and in them developing their cognitive skills.

Lev Vygotsky back in the 1920's was the first academic to fully appreciate the value of imaginative play in children's development. However it has taken the best part of a century for his ideas to really begin to catch on.

After spending an excessive amount of time on H2G2 in recent weeks, the thought has occurred to me that there is no real difference between children in my workplace playing in the home corner and say the Cheshire Grin Inn or the Forum and F****n, except that the children need concrete props whereas the 'grown-ups' only need GuideML to create a structure for their play.

So it would seem that the various weird and wonderful establishments on H2G2 are in fact not only a place to have fun but also to improve your higher brain functions. No, honestly!!

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A315334

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more